Ultrasonic cleaners - your input?

American Revival Apparel Company

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I got one for Christmas. If I want to clean my pistols in it, what's the usual procedure? Take the slide assembly apart and drop the frame in with everything in place? How long? And do you have to flush it out with water afterwards?

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I got one for Christmas. If I want to clean my pistols in it, what's the usual procedure? Take the slide assembly apart and drop the frame in with everything in place? How long? And do you have to flush it out with water afterwards?
I take any plastic or wood off. Take larger parts apart. Then place them in the cleaner with the open sides of the parts downward so the dirt can fall out.

Run it for 15 minutes or so

Then I take it out, wash it, heat it up, and oil it

Reactions: DarthVader

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I take any plastic or wood off. Take larger parts apart. Then place them in the cleaner with the open sides of the parts downward so the dirt can fall out.

Answer your PMs damn it!

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

So I can drop the frame in without detail stripping it, right? If so, I'm pretty pumped. My M&P gets nasty after a few hundred rounds with the suppressor.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Well, whatever Apex uses to coat the FSS trigger shoe, isn't strong enough to withstand the ultrasonic cleaner and 50% purple power. But the rest of the gun cleaned up pretty well.

0406e09f15124586614476c0df20664f.jpg

f72d8426b6614288f3ebe1c1806e56ee.jpg

Reactions: Cudruln

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Well, whatever Apex uses to coat the FSS trigger shoe, isn't strong enough to withstand the ultrasonic cleaner and 50% purple power. But the rest of the gun cleaned up pretty well.

0406e09f15124586614476c0df20664f.jpg

f72d8426b6614288f3ebe1c1806e56ee.jpg
That's good to know

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
No, but I've got an email into Apex to find out.

The trigger shoe is aluminum, so I'm guessing it was some sort of paint and not anodized.
were their any other metal parts contacting it while it ran? those vibrations with metal on metal can wear away finish.

Plastic tray in your USC?

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
In a lifetime of automotive refinishing I've seen many aluminum parts that look exactly like that. Not many coatings will adhere to bare metal, especially aluminum. There's really only two in our industry. Epoxy primer and self etching primers that contain an acid to etch themselves into the metal. When an aluminum part is painted without being thoroughly cleaned and applying one of those two primers it will look exactly like that trigger after you hit it with a pressure washer.

They really should anodize those.

Last edited:

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
In a lifetime of automotive refinishing I've seen aluminum parts that look exactly like that. Not many coatings will adhere to bare metal, especially aluminum. There's really only two in our industry. Epoxy primer and self etching primers that contain an acid to etch themselves into the metal. When an aluminum part is painted without being thoroughly cleaned and applying one of those two primers it will look exactly like that trigger after you hit it with a pressure washer.

Good info. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Reactions: Willy Leadwell

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
In a lifetime of automotive refinishing I've seen many aluminum parts that look exactly like that. Not many coatings will adhere to bare metal, especially aluminum. There's really only two in our industry. Epoxy primer and self etching primers that contain an acid to etch themselves into the metal. When an aluminum part is painted without being thoroughly cleaned and applying one of those two primers it will look exactly like that trigger after you hit it with a pressure washer.

Good to know. Thanks.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Plastic tray in your USC?

Are there issues with metal trays?

I've never used a cheap one and I've never owned one until now. I've had access to really nice ones in the past. The one my buddy has at his shop he uses for cleaning carburetors for race cars. It's like 1100 watts and has a metal basket. My new one also has a metal basket. I haven't used them that much but have never seen issues from the metal basket, but I guess I could see how there could be.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Are there issues with metal trays?

I've never used a cheap one and I've never owned one until now. I've had access to really nice ones in the past. The one my buddy has at his shop he uses for cleaning carburetors for race cars. It's like 1100 watts and has a metal basket. My new one also has a metal basket. I haven't used them that much but have never seen issues from the metal basket, but I guess I could see how there could be.
I've heard, never seen, that metal baskets can cause the same effect as metal parts touching during vibration, leaving marks from the contact.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I've heard, never seen, that metal baskets can cause the same effect as metal parts touching during vibration, leaving marks from the contact.
Mine is plastic. But it's a tray, not a basket. Basically just lifts the part off of the bottom and allows the crud to settle out.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Hmm. I can see where that might happen, but I've never really thought about it. Makes me wonder if I should do something different. Maybe have the basket powder coated or something.