Steel target question

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
How close is too close to shoot steel? Does it depend on caliber or bullet composition?

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
yz9890 said:
How close is too close to shoot steel? Does it depend on caliber or bullet composition?
There are MANY variables to consider.
  • How thick and how hard are the steel targets you're thinking of?
  • How large and what shape are the steel targets?
  • How would the steel targets be mounted?
  • The caliber, velocity, and bullet construction make a big difference.
  • What sort of range facility are you considering using the steel targets at?
  • How much protection is there for surrounding people and property if something goes wrong?
The list could easily be made longer.... ;)

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
they're hung with rubber straps over iron bars. 8" and 12" plates and a man size silhouette. they are AR500 steel targets. the big one is 1/2". They are 3/8" thick. they are on private land surrounded by thick woods on 3 sides.
7atebane.jpg

the material to the right of my son is just an old drip pan we were shooting. the steel is obviously to his left.
a3a5atum.jpg

this target is extremely heavy. and has been deformed a little by some heavy calibers. (338L, 300Ultra, and 50BMG) the smaller plates are still smooth.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
What you need to consider when shooting at those steel plates is how your bullets may react. My concern would be whole bullets or even parts of bullets bouncing back toward people. My guess is that 50 to 100 yards would probably be fairly safe. That's only a guess with no engineering calculations behind it.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Let me hijack this thread for just a moment. It appears that the gun under the grin has had the trigger moved forward. Did you do that yourself? Was it difficult? You can PM me if you would rather. Thanks.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
bigdogdaddy said:
Let me hijack this thread for just a moment. It appears that the gun under the grin has had the trigger moved forward. Did you do that yourself? Was it difficult? You can PM me if you would rather. Thanks.

I'm kind of new to the AK type but its my understanding that only the AK type shotguns have the trigger relocated to the rear because the original config of those shotguns is with a monte carlo type stocks and there would be no way you could reach the trigger with that setup without moving it. But I don't know for sure. That is a stock SGL21-73 in as new configuration. The few different models I've fired have all had the trigger tucked up behind the mag release like mine.

D

Denny4kids

Here is what the MGM target people say. And also at our range we angle the steel so the bullets ricochet into the dirt. Denny.

FAQ: How close can I shoot steel?

Once you get to the MGM page, scroll down to the "How close can I shoot steel?" question and answer.