"Shorty Shotty"

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA
M

mukwah

I have decided that my next project is going to be to refinish my "Shorty Shotty". Since this little babe spends a lot of time in the safe her finish has gotten kinda of blah I'm gonna redo her in a Dura Coat Matte Black. She's an older Remington 870 Wingmaster with a action as smooth as butter. The internals were made and honed a whole lot better than the newer 870's. She's clean and slick on inside but her exterior could use a little "facelift".
071512200702.jpg

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Those are nice shoguns. The only thing I don't like about them is the same thing that I don't like about my Mossberg, the placement of the safety. Although with a pistol grip I guess that style would work fine. I prefer a shotgun safety that you "thumb" off. Sounds like a nice project.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
What's it like shooting a shotgun like the one pictured with no stock on it? How controllable is it with full-power ammo?

I've been thinking about getting a "tactical" 870 but haven't been able to come up with a suitable (for the wife, that is) justification for the purchase.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Skip, I am assuming that question is pointed at muk but I will jump in because I am a big time shotgun fan. It is not as uncomfortable as you may think, shooting a shot gun with a pistol grip. I do not find it difficult to control and getting back on target is not great but better with a little practice. With all that said though, I have went back to a regular tactical stock over the pistol grip on my home defense shotguns. I can shoot them from the side just as well and when possible use the actual butt stock with way more accuracy. Of course, this is just my opinion and what works for me. I have become a huge fan of the Saigas. As for your wife, anybody can shoot the Saiga 20 gauge or even better with the .410. And anyone that doesn't think a .410 would do the job for home defense has not seen what they do up close. Horrible.

M

mukwah

I agree with Bigdog on all points. I might add that the main tactical advantage for me is the ease to maneauver and carry with the pistol grip.

R

rayzer007

Is that a light under the magazine tube? How is it activated - switch on?
This "little" project will be one you could do blinfolded now Muk, with all your recent experience! ;)
Ray

M

mukwah

Ray, it's a side by side light and laser. I'm at work now but when I get home I'll get a better picture of the setup. The light and laser are push button activated and also came with a pressure switch that I'm not using at the moment. This project should be a piece of cake, and one less gun in the safe to worry about rusting! My only problem might be the heat shroud as it is flexable when removed and I'm not sure how the Dura Coat will flex. Still thinking that out.

R

rayzer007

Thanks for that picture Muk; seen from that perspective I understand it better.

Ray

M

mukwah

I might add that the grip and fore end are designed by TacStar to handle the natural flow of the recoil in shooting and racking another round. 8)

M

mukwah

Shorty Shotty Finito! Can't tell much differance but now she's got a rust proof DuraCoat finish! I'll add the laser light combo after a 2-3 week cure time. On to the next project!
1223121701.jpg