Ready to step out of the Minor League

GA Firing Line

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Hint: At 600 meters, the standard front sight post will cover just over 5 feet of target. Scores at 600 fall off the map because cheek weld gets pretty poor as well. If your buddy is consistently stacking them up, he must be superhuman. Unless you're talking about the occasional lucky shot.

My bil and I used to sit in lawnchairs at my parents house and hit weeds in the beanfield 1000 yards away with the .22 pistols. It usually took a few mags to get the elevation right, and get lucky with the wind, but we could kick up puffs of dirt right on those weeds. Guess we're experts. lol

Last edited:

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Eh? The blasting target? Anyway, like I said. I'm not the best by any stretch of the imaginaiton, but I feel like I'm better than most "duty guns". Is it too much for someone to just want a more accurate pistol?

Absolutely not. But trigger control doesn't change much with a better gun. Anticipation is the enemy.

How much target does the front sight post of an AR cover at 600 yards? How big is the target?

Anyway, I'm not "blaming" the equipment. There are true, built in hindrances that impede accuracy.

Standard front sight, rifle length gas system, will obscure about 35" at 600 yards. The 9 ring is 10", X is 6". Appleseed D targets are 18" along the bottom.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Hint: At 600 meters, the standard front sight post will cover just over 5 feet of target. Scores at 600 fall off the map because cheek weld gets pretty poor as well. If your buddy is consistently stacking them up, he must be superhuman. Unless you're talking about the occasional lucky shot.

My bil and I used to sit in lawnchairs at my parents house and hit weeds in the beanfield 1000 yards away with the .22 pistols. It usually took a few mags to get the elevation right, and get lucky with the wind, but we could kick up puffs of dirt right on those weeds. Guess we're experts. lol

Just got back on. Didn't say stack them, but makes all his on target.the math is answered in another post. Give him his match rifle, better trigger and smaller sights but the trigger is still 4.5lbs, and they all go inside the 9 ring. They're not superhuman, but very good. You can see him and people like him at any High Power competition.

Reactions: EugenFJR

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Absolutely not. But trigger control doesn't change much with a better gun. Anticipation is the enemy.

Standard front sight, rifle length gas system, will obscure about 35" at 600 yards. The 9 ring is 10", X is 6". Appleseed D targets are 18" along the bottom.
National Match sights cover 18 inches at 175 meters.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Just got back on. Didn't say stack them, but makes all his on target.the math is answered in another post. Give him his match rifle, better trigger and smaller sights but the trigger is still 4.5lbs, and they all go inside the 9 ring. They're not superhuman, but very good. You can see him and people like him at any High Power competition.
The point is, a good trigger helps a LOT. Also, a gun built for decent accuracy helps a lot too. That's all I'm looking for.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Speaking of hardware, I'm seriously considering ordering the new Apex semi-drop in barrel for my M&P. It requires minor fitting, but substantially improves lock time and inherent accuracy.

Reactions: Laufen

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code

Guys in the AMU do it all the time... In 2008 Norm Anderson Won the Pres. 100 match with a bone stock RRA NM rifle. I trained with him for a few years. I guess I'm use to pulling 8lb triggers all day, so I dont see why people get so wrapped up over the trigger.

Reactions: freedom

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Guys in the AMU do it all the time... In 2008 Norm Anderson Won the Pres. 100 match with a bone stock RRA NM rifle. I trained with him for a few years. I guess I'm use to pulling 8lb triggers all day, so I dont see why people get so wrapped up over the trigger.
I don't think there's another component that's as critical to accuracy.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Get your 600 yards on!

CMP-Talladega-Pricing_w.jpg

Not convenient but SO worth the drive!

Reactions: Red Dawn and Laufen

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
National Match sights cover 18 inches at 175 meters.

My front sight measures 7moa, I've checked and verified at several distances and used it at unknown distance clinics to estimate ranges successfully. I don't have a national match sight.

Reactions: Laufen

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
That 600 yard target is a long ways away...

image.jpg

Giggled like a school girl when I actually got hits on paper with the K31.

VEPR in 7.62x54R shown in pic.

I need more practice...

600yd Vepr.jpg

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Oh, I do too. But the first step to improvement is to stop blaming your equipment. I know people who can make shots at 600 yards with an iron sight, mil spec AR. That means the reason I struggle isn't that I don't have a Timney or a Geissle.

The mil-spec struggle could not be more real