• Total voters

Peanut Butter

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Oct 13, 2019
Jupiter
@Grunk as you know my nephews and nieces are in town. I was very nervous about letting Brock out with them because he’s never been around kids that may be a little scared of him. So I let him out my nephew immediately took off running Brocks hair was standing up chasing him. I told him to stop running and be still. He stopped Brock’s hair was still up and he started growling. He’s never been aggressive with people unless you startle him. When he started growling I immediately grabbed him and corrected him. I’m not sure if he was gonna attack him or what but man it makes me not trust him around kids. I know my nephew shouldn’t have taken off running but I am going to keep letting him out on leash with me until they leave so I can try to get this out of him. Have you ever experienced this? Or anyone else with dogs? Chime in

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
@Grunk as you know my nephews and nieces are in town. I was very nervous about letting Brock out with them because he’s never been around kids that may be a little scared of him. So I let him out my nephew immediately took off running Brocks hair was standing up chasing him. I told him to stop running and be still. He stopped Brock’s hair was still up and he started growling. He’s never been aggressive with people unless you startle him. When he started growling I immediately grabbed him and corrected him. I’m not sure if he was gonna attack him or what but man it makes me not trust him around kids. I know my nephew shouldn’t have taken off running but I am going to keep letting him out on leash with me until they leave so I can try to get this out of him. Have you ever experienced this? Or anyone else with dogs? Chime in
Your nephew running kicked in his prey drive. That's hard to turn off once it's going. Even when he stopped, your nephew was probably scared enough that Bock was still amped up. I can help you work with him on leash to get that under some control. And then if you want, with a shock collar so he can be off-leash but you can still get his attention if his prey drive kicks in. Be happy to come down & work with you. I've been the "bad guy" before even teaching dogs to do bite work.

Peanut Butter

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Oct 13, 2019
Jupiter
Your nephew running kicked in his prey drive. That's hard to turn off once it's going. Even when he stopped, your nephew was probably scared enough that Bock was still amped up. I can help you work with him on leash to get that under some control. And then if you want, with a shock collar so he can be off-leash but you can still get his attention if his prey drive kicks in. Be happy to come down & work with you. I've been the "bad guy" before even teaching dogs to do bite work.
I have a very expensive shock collar maybe it’s time to charge it up and start putting Brock back to work. I just don’t have kids around often to let him know that it’s OK. He’s always off leash unless we’re walking around the neighborhood

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
Part of me wants to blame it on taking off running but that’s NOT a excuse. It scared me luckily Brock listened and backed off
The fact that Brock obeyed your commands the 1st time this happened means it can be controlled. That's the difference between a mean guard dog & a smart attack dog. A dog made mean & set to guard an area (l

Peanut Butter

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Oct 13, 2019
Jupiter
@Grunk even on our walk we saw random people and dogs as showed in video and he NEVER got upset or bothered. Like you said I think the running kicked in his prey drive but that’s NOT ok. He listened when I called him off but man that was a stressful minute if he would’ve attacked him unfortunately I would’ve had to shoot him.

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
I have a very expensive shock collar maybe it’s time to charge it up and start putting Brock back to work. I just don’t have kids around often to let him know that it’s OK. He’s always off leash unless we’re walking around the neighborhood
We can work on that. I can do a lot of the things kids do that set dogs off. Sudden movement, loud noises. And then you stay calm & correct him if he overreacts.

Peanut Butter

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Oct 13, 2019
Jupiter
We can work on that. I can do a lot of the things kids do that set dogs off. Sudden movement, loud noises. And then you stay calm & correct him if he overreacts.
We’ll definitely have to find some time. I can bring him out to the farm or wherever you think is a old spot. Since we moved back to GA I haven’t been working with him a lot. We use to train everyday

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
@Grunk even on our walk we saw random people and dogs as showed in video and he NEVER got upset or bothered. Like you said I think the running kicked in his prey drive but that’s NOT ok. He listened when I called him off but man that was a stressful minute if he would’ve attacked him unfortunately I would’ve had to shoot him.
I had to work on that with Duke. He didn't go after strange kids, he wanted to play with them because he did my grandnieces & grandnephew. But he would run at strange kids wanting to play & they'd freak & turn to run & SNAP! Prey drive!

Like I say, the fact that Brock obeyed your verbal commands tells me this is a pretty easy fix.

Peanut Butter

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Oct 13, 2019
Jupiter
I had to work on that with Duke. He didn't go after strange kids, he wanted to play with them because he did my grandnieces & grandnephew. But he would run at strange kids wanting to play & they'd freak & turn to run & SNAP! Prey drive!

Like I say, the fact that Brock obeyed your verbal commands tells me this is a pretty easy fix.
Brock probably got mad because he couldn’t do his “sniff check”

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
We’ll definitely have to find some time. I can bring him out to the farm or wherever you think is a old spot. Since we moved back to GA I haven’t been working with him a lot. We use to train everyday
Look over your schedule. I can come to your place or we can do some stuff at the farm is that's better