Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
We both honestly forget about the VA.
Military shit on us all, even as good as I had it. Utilize every benefit available to you.

Like I told the young airman I 'mentored', do your job , be shit hot for yourself and you will succeed without trying...but never forget to work the system, because you better believe the system will work the fuck out of you

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
Military shit on us all, even as good as I had it. Utilize every benefit available to you.

Like I told the young airman I 'mentored', do your job , be shit hot for yourself and you will succeed without trying...but never forget to work the system, because you better believe the system will work the fuck out of you
Sounds a lot like most gov work generally

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
I apply that view to pretty much everything....even you.
I see a lot of my younger colleagues not taking advantage of services or options available to them because they can't set aside whatever stigma they might have or it's something they didn't use in their old job, or see it as necessary. At the end of the day, they end up just making things harder on themselves for no reason and it's silly. A lot of the old heads use whatever perks/benefits that are offered and it makes it easier to get by. The big thing is not getting in your own way.

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I see a lot of my younger colleagues not taking advantage of services or options available to them because they can't set aside whatever stigma they might have or it's something they didn't use in their old job, or see it as necessary. At the end of the day, they end up just making things harder on themselves for no reason and it's silly. A lot of the old heads use whatever perks/benefits that are offered and it makes it easier to get by. The big thing is not getting in your own way.

I've got an opportunity for an "in" on the next round of promotions, but it would basically be nepotism. I can't stand others that have advanced by that method so I'm not going to do it. But it sucks when the big guy comes to me (I've known him for years) and says get me a copy of your resume so we can make sure you get moved up. It's $1/hour raise. I'd like to have it but not like this.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
I've got an opportunity for an "in" on the next round of promotions, but it would basically be nepotism. I can't stand others that have advanced by that method so I'm not going to do it. But it sucks when the big guy comes to me (I've known him for years) and says get me a copy of your resume so we can make sure you get moved up. It's $1/hour raise. I'd like to have it but not like this.

Huh? Relationships are a huge part of how opportunities present themselves. You're obviously capable or he wouldn't consider promoting you. Don't sell yourself short. If you have someone that will go to bat for you, YOU TAKE IT!

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
How many guns/mags/ammo have you seen him save? A bunch!!!

Touche'. I should have said "money saver". If he came into some money, it'd be all:

giphy.gif