Next Suppressor Innovation

Howard Law

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I bet the next trend in suppressors is....micro cans.

What say you?
As in, smaller than the mini cans that every one was pushing a few years ago?

As far as trends, I'm not sure where they go from here. Modular is the big deal today, with some companies rolling out highly versatile cans. The trend today is modular, user serviceable. Basically "one can to rule them all". I'm all for versatility, but I do wonder if some of the current crop are a jack of all trades and master of none?

Dead Air and Rugged have the best mount designs we've ever seen.

A push towards lighter, more compact, but still super durable, modular & QD capable cans would be ideal.

Direct thread cans should all allow swapping the thread adapter for multi caliber use.

Over the last 10 years, the industry has steadily pushed forward with significant improvements. And I honestly don't know if "revolutionary" is even possible. But I'm sure they'll find a way to reinvent themselves again and again.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Modular cans, and all in one cans. New regs are initially going to make people gravitate towards getting cans that seem like " 2 in 1" or "multi cal".

Possibly the new 2 year renewal issues may drive some people to start looking at cheaper but more particularized cans.

Micro cans hop in and out. Usually only the more intense NFA guys like it because they aren't chasing down every last db. Rank and file NFA buyers are chasing down the last db.

If suppressors were de regulated micro cans would be much bigger and much more marketed to the "tactical" crowd. Similar to SBR's vs full length rifle.

Reactions: Laufen

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Modular cans, and all in one cans. New regs are initially going to make people gravitate towards getting cans that seem like " 2 in 1" or "multi cal".

Possibly the new 2 year renewal issues may drive some people to start looking at cheaper but more particularized cans.

Micro cans hop in and out. Usually only the more intense NFA guys like it because they aren't chasing down every last db. Rank and file NFA buyers are chasing down the last db.

If suppressors were de regulated micro cans would be much bigger and much more marketed to the "tactical" crowd. Similar to SBR's vs full length rifle.
That's the thing about compact cans in the "mini" category. It's not just about the numbers though. Those things are loud. Almost bordering on being blast reduction devices vs effective suppressors. They have a specific purpose, but it doesn't apply to most buyers.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
That's the thing about compact cans in the "mini" category. It's not just about the numbers though. Those things are loud. Almost bordering on being blast reduction devices vs effective suppressors. They have a specific purpose, but it doesn't apply to most buyers.
Exactly why I went with the mini.

Not looking for quiet. Just looking to have a "SBR" that isn't going to shake my fillings loose each shot.

Reactions: DarthVader

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Exactly why I went with the mini.

Not looking for quiet. Just looking to have a "SBR" that isn't going to shake my fillings loose each shot.
I haven't shot the Grunt-M. I wonder how it sounds compared to the Mini-4 and the Surefire? The Grunt that I've shot sounded pretty good.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I haven't shot the Grunt-M. I wonder how it sounds compared to the Mini-4 and the Surefire? The Grunt that I've shot sounded pretty good.
I've only shot it a handful of times. Batoncole on the ODT let me shoot his and I was really surprised by it. I had been wanting one but just couldn't justify it.... The 41F came about. Figured it was the right candidate for my pin and weld project which will be on the 80% lower I did.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

Honestly, on my 223 bolt gun if you turn your back you can't tell the difference between my Grunt-M or my full size AAC Cyclone.

I have yet to let anyone shoot it who wasn't amazed by its performance.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

For sure. That's going to be a top priority for this newb moving forward. I want a do-all type of setup that I can move around. I'm not wild about paying a tax to exercise my rights, and I'd like to avoid as many stamps as possible. When modular cans have fewer compromises built in, they will really take off. I think it's coming.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
For sure. That's going to be a top priority for this newb moving forward. I want a do-all type of setup that I can move around. I'm not wild about paying a tax to exercise my rights, and I'd like to avoid as many stamps as possible. When modular cans have fewer compromises built in, they will really take off. I think it's coming.
Modular cans are the new hotness and have a certain appeal. Especially for new folks getting into suppressors and people who only want one can to do it all. But, there are compromises. For someone who wants the shortest, lightest, quietest can for a given caliber, the modular design doesn't work.

Until recently, a modular 762 can like the Surge would cover almost all the bases. Now that we're seeing cans that are user serviceable, 22lr becomes viable. And designs that also allow you to incorporate a Nielsen device, literally cover almost every base imaginable. Albeit, not as well as dedicated cans.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

For sure. When I first got into NFA I had many of the same thoughts. As time went on though, I became more "dedicated use" driven. 5 cans and 14 stamps later, I am pretty much dedicated use only now. I am actually considering picking up a 3rd 22 can just so I can leave my cans on my 3 22 hosts all the time and never have to move them around.....fuck, I have 4 hosts......dammit!

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Modular cans are the new hotness and have a certain appeal. Especially for new folks getting into suppressors and people who only want one can to do it all. But, there are compromises. For someone who wants the shortest, lightest, quietest can for a given caliber, the modular design doesn't work.

Until recently, a modular 762 can like the Surge would cover almost all the bases. Now that we're seeing cans that are user serviceable, 22lr becomes viable. And designs that also allow you to incorporate a Nielsen device, literally cover almost every base imaginable. Albeit, not as well as dedicated cans.

I seem to mean something different when I say modular. I am strictly talking about adding and removing length. Because of this, small cans won't be in, because all pistol cans will now be a "k" can and a fullsize can in one.

Multicaliber is how I would describe things like the Optimus, Hybrid, Mystic, or Comsic.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code

NEXT trend. Modular is the current trend. But I see what your saying about it expanding.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I seem to mean something different when I say modular. I am strictly talking about adding and removing length. Because of this, small cans won't be in, because all pistol cans will now be a "k" can and a fullsize can in one.

Multicaliber is how I would describe things like the Optimus, Hybrid, Mystic, or Comsic.
Good distinction. I was sort of lumping them all together.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
As in, smaller than the mini cans that every one was pushing a few years ago?

As far as trends, I'm not sure where they go from here. Modular is the big deal today, with some companies rolling out highly versatile cans. The trend today is modular, user serviceable. Basically "one can to rule them all". I'm all for versatility, but I do wonder if some of the current crop are a jack of all trades and master of none?

Dead Air and Rugged have the best mount designs we've ever seen.

A push towards lighter, more compact, but still super durable, modular & QD capable cans would be ideal.

Direct thread cans should all allow swapping the thread adapter for multi caliber use.

Over the last 10 years, the industry has steadily pushed forward with significant improvements. And I honestly don't know if "revolutionary" is even possible. But I'm sure they'll find a way to reinvent themselves again and again.
Yes smaller.