Modular AR lowers, will they ever flourish?

GA Firing Line

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Windham Weaponry is reintroducing its hydra(qd barrel AR-15). Now it is not just a QD barrel, but also the lower has a modular magwell to allow the use of standard AR mags, AK mags, and 9mm mags.

Sometimes it just seems like more work than necessary and that the modular aspect is negated by all the cases you'd have to bring to hold the extra bolts, mags, barrels, buffers, etc.
RMCS-4-Rifle-Kit-Web-med.png

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Seems like a lot of junk to haul around. But I could also see the benefits of having a "multiple" use gun. I wonder how reliable something like this is though and how easy it would be to accidentally switch the wrong parts in? Is the price cheap enough to consider not having multiple guns?

Reactions: Waterguy

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
It still may be a nice one to have in a shtf scenario though.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I think they've got a market for this... Guys like me who like to take stuff apart, like guns, but spend 10x more time playing with them than actually shooting them.

I used to go to the range all the time. Now I've got three kids and no spare time.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I think they've got a market for this... Guys like me who like to take stuff apart, like guns, but spend 10x more time playing with them than actually shooting them.

I used to go to the range all the time. Now I've got three kids and no spare time.
dude same here. It's just hard to make it to a place where tis okay to shoot. Motorcycling is so much easier in this regard so it's really been dominating my hobby time.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
dude same here. It's just hard to make it to a place where tis okay to shoot. Motorcycling is so much easier in this regard so it's really been dominating my hobby time.

I understand- we're moving into a new house soon with a full unfinished basement. I can't wait to get all my woodworking stuff spread out in that basement and start making stuff again. I'll seriously be selling guns to pay for oak, cherry, and sycamore boards.

Waterguy

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
North Georgia
Zip code
Seems like a lot of junk to haul around. But I could also see the benefits of having a "multiple" use gun. I wonder how reliable something like this is though and how easy it would be to accidentally switch the wrong parts in? Is the price cheap enough to consider not having multiple guns?

Would definitely be good in occupied territory where you gotta register long guns. I see this as being for someone that just wants to have a bunch of different calibers but does not want to register multiple lowers. This will probably not sell well in other areas where we like to make Frankenrifles and such, but I do see a niche market for this kit.

permaneo vox