Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
What's the difference, besides $300? Been thinking about picking up a pocket 9 since I'll probably give my wife my LCR once her permit comes in. I don't want a shield or an XDs, I've had both and the XDs was nice but I want something a little smaller. I've heard great things about the Kahr's so I figured I'd give them a try.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
The CW9 has a cut rifling barrel and is less "fancy" than it's more expensive sibling. I carry a CW9 when my Glock is not practical. I actually shoot better groups at 25 yards with it than I do my Glocks, and I have never had a malfunction; that being said I trust it less than my Glocks, even though I have no reason.

Gunsite Grad

Charter member
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Druid Hills & Kennworthstock
Zip code
PM has a match grade polygonal barrel and rounder edges. The CM has less finishing work and standard rifling in the barrel. Both share the same trigger.

Also, the PM has a dovetail front sight & the CM is staked.

You can use full size mags in both.

Long, smooth DAO triggers. My EDC is a all steel K9 with the cm9 as back up.

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
PM has a match grade polygonal barrel and rounder edges. The CM has less finishing work and standard rifling in the barrel. Both share the same trigger.

Also, the PM has a dovetail front sight & the CM is staked.

You can use full size mags in both.

Long, smooth DAO triggers. My EDC is a all steel K9 with the cm9 as back up.

This. Also there is a difference in the slide stop. The PM9 is a 1 piece forged item and the CM9 is a MIM part. So the PM9s slide stop is technically stronger but I have never heard of anything happening with a CM9 slide stop.

Note: The external slide shape is a little bit different. Different enough that I ordered a holster from a really popular maker on ODT for my CM9 and it did not fit very well. It fit my wife's PM9 much better. I'm assuming he had a PM9 mold and just didn't think there was any difference.

I can't tell any difference between the two as far as shooting goes. Both were reliable. Ended up selling the PM9 and keeping the CM9.

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
They're both good, probably the best US made cheap subcompacts.
Although I've never had issues with a Kahr, I sold all my polymer series Kahrs long ago, but still have the K, MK, and T all steel models.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
For some reason I wasn't getting alerts from this thread. I must have fat fingered it on my phone and selected unwatch thread...Anyways. Seems like it doesn't make any sense to spend the extra $300 to get the PM9. I'm not opposed to paying more for better quality but I don't really mind a staked front site, a different slide profile or a MIM slide stop. I'd prefer to have a forged slide stop but I am not gonna pay $300 to make that happen. Does anybody know if the slide stops are interchangeable on them? If so I might just buy a forged and replace the MIM.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I think the frame will go long before the slide stop if the moving parts have a little grease or oil on them. Especially where the screw attaches the side plate.

Reactions: Jake

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
For some reason I wasn't getting alerts from this thread. I must have fat fingered it on my phone and selected unwatch thread...Anyways. Seems like it doesn't make any sense to spend the extra $300 to get the PM9. I'm not opposed to paying more for better quality but I don't really mind a staked front site, a different slide profile or a MIM slide stop. I'd prefer to have a forged slide stop but I am not gonna pay $300 to make that happen. Does anybody know if the slide stops are interchangeable on them? If so I might just buy a forged and replace the MIM.
There isn't a $300 difference between the 2, maybe MSRP but realistic pricing there's probably $150 difference.
Both worked fine for me (never tried swapping the parts) and there's really no better option in that size unless you want to pay a little more for the MK9, which I think is superior feeling
(the MK9 with GAxxxx serial number range have a recall on the slide, although Kahr will replace it for free with a complete new slide)

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I think the frame will go long before the slide stop if the moving parts have a little grease or oil on them. Especially where the screw attaches the side plate.

You are probably right. If it is just a $20 part, I don't really mind spending that little bit of money to make myself feel better though.:wink:

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
There isn't a $300 difference between the 2, maybe MSRP but realistic pricing there's probably $150 difference.
Both worked fine for me (never tried swapping the parts) and there's really no better option in that size unless you want to pay a little more for the MK9, which I think is superior feeling
(the MK9 with GAxxxx serial number range have a recall on the slide, although Kahr will replace it for free with a complete new slide)

Don't really want an MK9 due to the weight. This will be for Pocket carry and the difference in weight is just a hair over 22 ounces for the MK9 vs 14 ounces for the CM9.

My LCR is a hair over 17 ounces and it is about as heavy as I'd want to go for pocket carry. I'm actually trying to shave some weight off of it otherwise I'd buy my wife an LCR in .38Spl and just keep my .357 since I know that she will never shoot .357 out of it anyways.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
You are probably right. If it is just a $20 part, I don't really mind spending that little bit of money to make myself feel better though.:wink:

I would probably ask Kahr directly, the part number would be different if they were made to different specifications for different models even if they were the same size.

Reactions: Jake

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Unless I am wearing loose pants, the CW9 give that "happy to see you" look in your front pocket. It absolutely disappears with an inside the waistband holster.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Unless I am wearing loose pants, the CW9 give that "happy to see you" look in your front pocket. It absolutely disappears with an inside the waistband holster.

Try an Alabama Holster Company kydex pocket holster. I've had a few of them and still carry my LCR in one and it is an awesome holster. IWB isn't possible at my job because if I have a "grip slip" at work I could get fired depending on who sees it.

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
Don't really want an MK9 due to the weight. This will be for Pocket carry and the difference in weight is just a hair over 22 ounces for the MK9 vs 14 ounces for the CM9.

My LCR is a hair over 17 ounces and it is about as heavy as I'd want to go for pocket carry. I'm actually trying to shave some weight off of it otherwise I'd buy my wife an LCR in .38Spl and just keep my .357 since I know that she will never shoot .357 out of it anyways.
Well there's also the smaller P380 and CW380, might be too small to properly handle but for pocket carry it works.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Well there's also the smaller P380 and CW380, might be too small to properly handle but for pocket carry it works.

Not a fan of 380.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Just ordered a pocket holster from Alabama Holster Company for the CM9. Guess I need to find a CM9 now, lol.

If anybody finds any labor day deals on a CM9 please post a link!

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Just ordered a pocket holster from Alabama Holster Company for the CM9. Guess I need to find a CM9 now, lol.

If anybody finds any labor day deals on a CM9 please post a link!

Will keep my eye out. Cool holsters!

Sounds like you would need to get used to popping it out of the kydex so the whole thing doesn't come out. Glad your boss took care of you yesterday!

back_pocket01-300x300.jpg

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Will keep my eye out. Cool holsters!

Sounds like you would need to get used to popping it out of the kydex so the whole thing doesn't come out. Glad your boss took care of you yesterday!

back_pocket01-300x300.jpg

That's the back pocket holster. I ordered the front pocket holster. It is really easy to get it out of the front pocket holsters. It has a little thumb tab on the inside that you just push off of when drawing. It pops right out. I have one for my LCR and love it. They are way thinner than the fabric types and they are contoured on the outside to minimalize printing. They also don't make my leg sweat like the fabric ones do.

SmartSelectImage_2016-09-03-11-16-26.png