JP Silent Capture Spring

American Revival Apparel Company

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I used to think these were pretty gimmicky. But alot of folks are using them successfully. Enough to make me curious, anyway. The only real issue I have with them is compatibility. I run the Vltor A5 buffer system on most of my lowers, so it's a no-go for me. I also like to swap buffers and sometimes springs, to get a nice recoil impulse and reliable cycling for suppressed / unsuppressed shooting. That sort of tuning is more difficult or not possible with the JP spring.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I have that too.;)
042f0a8c4539cbfb0ce63559ed98ba18.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Hell, I don't notice it with a USGI spring, even with a suppressor mounted.
I used the flatwound spring in my PSA and no longer hear it if listening for it, but its no big deal. I do like that the JP springs are 7% stiffer though. Does seem to help slightly smooth out the impulse in conjunction with my heavy buffer as that rifle has a carbine gas system.

I know what your saying though, I really don't notice anymore either. Heck, my buddy just finished up two AR's the other weekend, and I didn't even notice the "zoing" thinking back on it.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I don't know if you haters realize it or not, but if you're operating in a submarine, the enemy can pick up your buffer spring clatter with sonar. The JP Silent spring is submariner operator approved. You probably don't have the tactical clearance required to obtain that information. Luckily though, you have the internet. You're welcome.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I don't know if you haters realize it or not, but if you're operating in a submarine, the enemy can pick up your buffer spring clatter with sonar. The JP Silent spring is submariner operator approved. You probably don't have the tactical clearance required to obtain that information. Luckily though, you have the internet. You're welcome.
ROFL!

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I used the flatwound spring in my PSA and no longer hear it if listening for it, but its no big deal. I do like that the JP springs are 7% stiffer though. Does seem to help slightly smooth out the impulse in conjunction with my heavy buffer as that rifle has a carbine gas system.

I know what your saying though, I really don't notice anymore either. Heck, my buddy just finished up two AR's the other weekend, and I didn't even notice the "zoing" thinking back on it.
I've been fooling around with different A5 buffers, the Springco Green and USGI (Colt) rifle action springs. I've just about settled on a good old fashioned USGI spring. Depending on the setup, you can feel both the rearward and forward motion of the carrier. Depending on the setup, the stronger spring results in muzzle dip due to the faster rebound rate OR a perceptible 2-stage cycle of the action, depending on which buffer I'm running. With the standard spring, cycle feels more like one quick motion, without the strong return to battery and resulting muzzle dip. I'm still fooling around with it, but it's looking like I'm heading back to the $8 action spring.

Reactions: Wallace

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
My preferred setup is the rifle buffer and spring. If your setup doesn't run well with it, then your build is wrong. I've seen over-gassed, under-gassed, short-stroking uppers all fixed by simply attaching to a fixed stock setup. But my inner operator/mall-ninja demands a collapsible stock just because.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
My preferred setup is the rifle buffer and spring. If your setup doesn't run well with it, then your build is wrong. I've seen over-gassed, under-gassed, short-stroking uppers all fixed by simply attaching to a fixed stock setup. But my inner operator/mall-ninja demands a collapsible stock just because.
Without a doubt, the rifle system is smoother and more forgiving. That's why I like the Vltor A5 so much. It provides all the benefits of a rifle system, with a collapsible stock.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Without a doubt, the rifle system is smoother and more forgiving. That's why I like the Vltor A5 so much. It provides all the benefits of a rifle system, with a collapsible stock.
Care to elaborate? I'm always looking to make a carbine better.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Long discussion. I'll try to provide more info this evening when I have a chance to sit down at the computer. Short answer is that it was developed for the USMC to replace the fixed A2 buttstock, while mimicking the overall reliability of the rifle buffer system.

In for info on the above ^^^^

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
In for info on the above ^^^^
OK, I'll try to keep this short. The Vltor A5 buffer system utilizes what is essentially an ar10 length receiver extension, a rifle length action spring and a specially designed set of buffers that are longer than typical carbine buffers by approximately 0.75“. Bravo Company makes an identical kit also. Eric Kincel, who now works for BCM, originally designed it and holds the patent.

Warning: it is not compatible with standard buffers and use of regular buffers will result in damage to the lower.

Cons:
Cost is about $100 per lower.
The RE is 3/4" longer, so most stocks will not collapse all the way down to the rear of the receiver. A few stocks like the EMOD and ACS will cover the tube though, because they are longer by design.

Pros:
The rifle spring is softer than a carbine action spring. This is the key. The buffers are longer in order to accommodate the longer tube. The buffers are also heavier than what you're used to. FYI, the most common buffer used is the A5H2. I equate it to a standard H buffer in terms of compatibility.

The combination of a softer spring and heavier reciprocating mass results in a system that behaves like a rifle buffer system, but shorter in OAL. It has several benefits, the best of which is that it is very forgiving. Meaning it works equally well, with and without a suppressor. It also provides a noticeable change in the recoil impulse, making it much softer and very smooth. Set up properly, the result is a flat shooting, very controllable gun.

It's a good reliability upgrade due to the innate forgiveness of the system and allows faster, more controllable follow up shots.

I've been running them for a couple of years. For most of that time, I've been using the Springco Green rifle spring. The green spring is made of chrome silicon steel. It isn't stiffer than the milspec spring, but CS does have a faster rebound rate. The more I've shot it, the more I've realized that the rebound stroke of the carrier is causing a slight downward dip of the muzzle between shots. The milspec spring (Colt) produces a more fluid stroke and slightly smoother (not softer) recoil impulse. Note: CS basically lasts forever and doesn't take a "set". The milspec spring will shorten over time and has to be replaced once it falls below the minimum acceptable length. This is normal for milspec rifle and carbine springs.

Depending on the gun, gas system length and gas port size, an A5H2 or A5H3 are the most common buffers used. Carbine gassed 14.5 - 16" barrels may call for A5H4. For guns with a smallish port, like the BCM 14.5 midlength barrel, an A5H1 may be appropriate.

Final note. There are two versions of the A5 receiver extension, the standard A5 and the A5SR. If you're using a standard length stock, like the milspec stock, SOPMOD, CTR, MOE, etc, you want the A5SR. The hole positions are different and the SR version allows the stock to fully collapse on the rear of the tube. This is important when clearing malfunctions, specifically when performing a mortar.

That's it in a nutshell. If you guys have any questions, let me know.

T-Roy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015
I have an a5 as well, it's a slick system. The only issue I ever had was a 7.5" barrel would short stroke on it. Then I realized 7.5's are stupid and moved on.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Did you ever try an a5H1 or A5H0?

I have my trusty ol' Doublestar rifle... Its a 16 inch bbl. M4 clone. Do you think I'd be able to tell a diffrence? I have well over 10k out of that rifle, worn out 4 sets of gas rings... I know that rifle in and out, no special trigger, pretty much bone stock. ( I do like the the BMC gunfighter chargeing handel ) I'm not trying to sound like a ass, honest question, do you think I'd be able to tell the diffrence between buffers?