I miss my Makarov PM

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA
H

Hoss

I was once an avid collector of all things 9x18. I had, at one point, 7 different firearms chambered for it. I carried a Polish P64 or a Makarov PM from Bulgaria or East Germany for an entire year. They shot great, carried awesome and ammo was cheap. They were accurate and 100% reliable. Good carry ammo like Pow'rBall or Hornady CD was reasonably priced as well.

Fast forward 6 years. I no longer own a firearm chamberd in 9x18 but do have about 1000 rounds of loose ammo lying about. Its really a tripping hazard. I went to a local shop today and they had Bulgarian Makarov PMs for $350 still packed in cosmine. J&G has the Polish P64's for $225 and the FEG P63's seem to be easily available for the $175-$200 range.

Am I crazy for wanting to get back in to that caliber? These guns are fun to shoot. Im seriously considering snagging one of those Bulgarian PMs and a P64.

Gunsite Grad

Charter member
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Druid Hills & Kennworthstock
Zip code
919d59b7e9d2ae7b06ec0bc99d14d4fa.jpg

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Dode.... I had a Russian Makarov back when I was even more poverty than Ia am now. I bought it because I always wanted a PPK but could never afford one. Well, I finally got a nice PPK and sold my Makarov like an idiot. I honestly liked it for carry better than the Walther. Side note @Hoss , my uncle has one of the rare DOUBLE STACK 9x18 Makarovs. No, he won't get rid of it.....

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Dode.... I had a Russian Makarov back when I was even more poverty than Ia am now. I bought it because I always wanted a PPK but could never afford one. Well, I finally got a nice PPK and sold my Makarov like an idiot. I honestly liked it for carry better than the Walther. Side note @Hoss , my uncle has one of the rare DOUBLE STACK 9x18 Makarovs. No, he won't get rid of it.....

I wanted a PPK too... but settled for the cheaper Mak.

Reactions: Hoss

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I've got a soft spot for them too. My dad had one when I was a kid and he let me shoot the shit out of it like it was one of the 22's. I'm sure ammo was dirt cheap for it back then, I don't even remember what manufacture it was just remember it was a 9x18.

Picked up this Bulgarian circle 10 a few years ago when I first started working at a pawn shop. Old lady brought it in with the receipt where she paid $150 for in 2001. She said she knew she couldn't get that back but she wanted to know what she could get for it. I said "ma'am I'll gladly give you $150 for it". She was tickled to death and so was I.

IMG_20171205_073356168.jpg

The PA-63 is chambered in 380 or 9mm short. And the SMC-22 is 22lr, I love that little pea shooter.

Reactions: Rwjeter

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I've got a soft spot for them too. My dad had one when I was a kid and he let me shoot the shit out of it like it was one of the 22's. I'm sure ammo was dirt cheap for it back then, I don't even remember what manufacture it was just remember it was a 9x18.

Picked up this Bulgarian circle 10 a few years ago when I first started working at a pawn shop. Old lady brought it in with the receipt where she paid $150 for in 2001. She said she knew she couldn't get that back but she wanted to know what she could get for it. I said "ma'am I'll gladly give you $150 for it". She was tickled to death and so was I.

View attachment 34355

The PA-63 is chambered in 380 or 9mm short. And the SMC-22 is 22lr, I love that little pea shooter.

I know I'd never be able to work at a pawn shop, seeing deals like that all the time.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I loved my PA63 and only sold it to help a friend who was wanting a great pistol as a "starter" piece. It was an excellent choice for CCW and always reliable and very accurate due to the fixes barrel. Hornady made a great PD round for it as well. I sold the pistol 300 rds of ammo (125 rds of the Hornady PD ammo) and original holster/cleaning accessories as well as a modern day cleaning setup all for $250. I think I paid $175 for the pistol back in the early 90's.

Wish I still had one.

Reactions: Rwjeter
H

Hoss

I loved my PA63 and only sold it to help a friend who was wanting a great pistol as a "starter" piece. It was an excellent choice for CCW and always reliable and very accurate due to the fixes barrel. Hornady made a great PD round for it as well. I sold the pistol 300 rds of ammo (125 rds of the Hornady PD ammo) and original holster/cleaning accessories as well as a modern day cleaning setup all for $250. I think I paid $175 for the pistol back in the early 90's.

Wish I still had one.
Elite has 2-3 of them in their used gun case.