Hoppes #9?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
anyone in Louisville about 5 gallons of it? fired about $300 yesterday followed up by a range-side BBQ. perfect day. so after church today, it's football and gun cleaning.
bujuty9y.jpg

that actually doesn't sound so bad now that I think about it.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Sounds like 2 pretty good days to me. I had a nice evening of gun work last night. My favorite niece came to me with her Remington Viper .22 in an aweful condition. Rusty, dirty, covered in cobwebs. Asked me if there was any hope. Took it apart last night and after a lot of CLP, Gun Scrubber, brushes, Q-tips, pipe cleaners, etc., got it looking pretty good. Taking her out to shoot this next week.

Enjoy the games and the guns.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
bigdogdaddy said:
BTW, 3rd and 4th guns from the left, details please?

That's actually 1 gun taken down. When assembled its as big as the table. (Barrett M82A1) - borrowed from a friend.

ba8e5uqa.jpg

Fired it 20 times yesterday for the bargain price of $4 a bullet. I don't know if my cleaning rod is long enough but I think my son's arm may actually fit in the barrel. ;)

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
bigdogdaddy said:
My favorite niece came to me with her Remington Viper .22 in an aweful condition. Rusty, dirty, covered in cobwebs.

That would've made a good before/after photo op.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Which caliber is that Barret rifle - .50 BMG or .416 Barrett?

I'd love to get my hands on one, but Mama would make me sorry if I bought one. :p

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
That one is 50BMG. surprisingly comfortable to shoot. The barrel moves about 2" inside the chassis on 2 huge springs and the muzzle brake is extremely effective (it rolled up the shooting mats on either side of me). The stroke is also so long that it's more of a slow shove to the shoulder than a quick smack. The extreme noise and concussion makes you think the recoil is worse than it really is. It's "wet-your-pants" loud though. The first shot ripped the 3/8" thick, man-size steel silhouette plate off the rubber straps at 300yds.

R

rayzer007

yz9890 said:
the first shot ripped the 3/8" thick, man-size steel silhouette plate off the rubber straps at 300yds.

Would that be considered a man stopper? :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ray

M

mukwah

Umm....Let's see, football, gun cleaning and Hoppes 9, can't get much better than that!!!!^-^

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Wow. I did not recognize that in 2 parts. I have a buddy that apparently has more money than I do that is thinking about buying one. I am telling him that I think it is a good idea.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
yz9890 said:
The extreme noise and concussion makes you think the recoil is worse than it really is. It's "wet-your-pants" loud though.
I have never once thought to apply that comparison to shooting anything and that includes shooting a bolt-action 50 BMG rifle a few years ago. ;D

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Trigger_1 said:
Wowwwww.....Awesome.....I wonder how much Hoppes #9 it takes to clean that bad boy.... :-

a lot. and a shirt sleeve size cleaning patch.