Does gun technology suck?

Howard Law

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
Why aren't there more advances in firearm technology, specifically civilian firearms? In the last ten years we've been introduced to slide fire, keymod rails, multi-stage triggers, Cerakote, and stippling. With the exception of multi stage triggers, all cool things in their own right but not game changers.

I keep looking back to the M1911 how a 100 year old pistol is still very relevant today and in a lot of cases superior to some of modern pistols that manufacturers put out.

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
Gun technology doesn't but, pistols and handguns do. What else can you do to handguns? Short barrels=slower velocities. That will never change. I think all the tech will come with the longer barreled platforms. Mechanics seem to always stay similar regardless.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
The purpose of a gun is to send a hunk of lead downrange. We pretty much have that figured out. Until there is a major ammunition advancement, like caseless ammo, rail gun tech, or laser/phaser blasters, guns don't have much more they could do. Accessories can always get a little better/cheaper.

The one recent major advancement, 3D printing, is in the process of being crushed by us and many other major governments.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I 3D printed an nice gun last week but had to throw it out cause I couldn't print any 3D ammo!

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I think the next big leap forward will be in the propellant....whether it's powder or electric.

Mechanically speaking there's not much to improve on in modern guns. Unless there is some revolutionary new type of rifling created I don't what else could be improved. People still try,which is why we end up with oddball guns that load rounds backwards in the magazine.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
H&K G11

Too bad it never caught on...

Reactions: Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
H&K G11

Too bad it never caught on...

Jeebus that guy was slapping that trigger...not to mention that thing looks like it kicked like a Garand!

Here's a caseless cartridge gun I want:

french%20napoleonic%20musket%201777_1.jpg

1777_11.jpg

Reactions: Strider12

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Why aren't there more advances in firearm technology, specifically civilian firearms? In the last ten years we've been introduced to slide fire, keymod rails, multi-stage triggers, Cerakote, and stippling. With the exception of multi stage triggers, all cool things in their own right but not game changers.

I keep looking back to the M1911 how a 100 year old pistol is still very relevant today and in a lot of cases superior to some of modern pistols that manufacturers put out.
its there, but we're having to jump around electronics due to ATF regs.

Here's a neat example.

Reactions: DoglegArms

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
on top of that the silencer market is exploding and 3d printed sintered metal cans are opening up a whole new ability to make complex core designs.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
this has me thinking too. the tech hasnt changed much. there has been decent attempts at ammunition but guns dont seem to be changing much at all really

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The lack of paradigm smashing drastic change doesn't necessarily mean the tech sucks, hell the same types of propellants used to shove bullets down barrels put a rover on Mars.

Propellant tech has changed a lot in function. Many, many more offerings for burn rates, improvements for handing temperature and humidity variation while keeping consistent and uniform pressures, better performing bullets, more precise machining for actions and barrels, lightweight high strength alloys, etc. Not many of these huge advancements are visibly notable, but they've been huge game changers behind the scenes.

We still all have human hands, and there's only so many designs that will fit our paws and provide a reliable and convenient platform for slinging a piece of lead.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I think the next big leap forward will be in the propellant....whether it's powder or electric.

Mechanically speaking there's not much to improve on in modern guns. Unless there is some revolutionary new type of rifling created I don't what else could be improved. People still try,which is why we end up with oddball guns that load rounds backwards in the magazine.
I loaded rounds backwards in a magazine once... and it ended up in a sales brochure!

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Jeebus that guy was slapping that trigger...not to mention that thing looks like it kicked like a Garand!

Here's a caseless cartridge gun I want:

french%20napoleonic%20musket%201777_1.jpg

1777_11.jpg

Caseless, yes.

Autoloading, not so much...

How about Metalstorm?

Pretty revolutionary if you ask me.

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
If you think about it car technology hasn't gone any further than gun technology since 1911. I think they're both par for the course and in their prime.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia

Innovations come about all the time.

Polymer frames
Double stack mags
Glowing sights

The 1911 thing is debatable. It is certainly not technically superior to other pistols which hold more than twice the ammo and have have far fewer points of failure.

Not to say it sucks, but a lot has happened in the last century. Not all of it is bad. From a technical point of view, the gun history is alive, well, and thriving.....

I just wish I could think of the next awesome advance!