Does fixed front sight position on an AR matter?

Howard Law

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I have a 15" rail and I'm putting it as far out as it can go. I'm using it with a A2 rear sight and wanting to know if I need to have it in a certain spot for the standard come ups to work out correctly.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
as long as it's the same plane it shouldn't matter on the distance between them.

I'll be sighting in at 25 yards on the "Z" Mark. After that I would like for the wheel marks to be accurate. Clicking to the 1 mark for 100 yards, 2 for 200, and so on. Since these are moa adjustments, I thought I might need the same sight radius as a rifle length gas system FSB for it to work out.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I'll be sighting in at 25 yards on the "Z" Mark. After that I would like for the wheel marks to be accurate. Clicking to the 1 mark for 100 yards, 2 for 200, and so on. Since these are moa adjustments, I thought I might need the same sight radius as a rifle length gas system FSB for it to work out.
I'm certainly no expert, (subscribed for answers), but I wouldn't think sight radius would be a concern. I'd think matching the load to the current marks would be more of the concern, yes?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net

You know, I never really thought about sight radius and the possible impact on known come-ups. My gut feeling is that it would probably have some impact, but I think it would be very small.

Since either a short sight radius or a long sight radius are zeroed to the same point initially, you're starting from the same place.

And for that matter, the military puts the same rear sight on a carbine length rifle or the 20" A1/A2 rifles.

There's probably some difference, but I would imagine it's pretty small.

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
You know, I never really thought about sight radius and the possible impact on known come-ups. My gut feeling is that it would probably have some impact, but I think it would be very small.

Since either a short sight radius or a long sight radius are zeroed to the same point initially, you're starting from the same place.

And for that matter, the military puts the same rear sight on a carbine length rifle or the 20" A1/A2 rifles.

There's probably some difference, but I would imagine it's pretty small.

Are all mil-spec carry handles the same? I didn't know if the wheels are calibrated differently for the M16 versus the M4. Any marking to look for if they are different?

I have a used Bushmaster take-off and a PSA carry handle. The bushmaster isn't as nice looking but there's a little less slop in the sight. Any reason to not use the bushmaster?

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
Are all mil-spec carry handles the same? I didn't know if the wheels are calibrated differently for the M16 versus the M4. Any marking to look for if they are different?

I have a used Bushmaster take-off and a PSA carry handle. The bushmaster isn't as nice looking but there's a little less slop in the sight. Any reason to not use the bushmaster?
M4 doesn't come with a carry handle. Just a BUIS

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Longer sight radius = easier to shoot accurately. Has no impact on bullet drop.

Reactions: boss_hawg

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Off the top of my head, M16A2 the sights go out to 800 meters ( to engage area targets, ie. a groups of guys in formation) 600m for Point targets ( one dude) The reason the M4 and the M16A4 are limited to 600 meters is b/c the suit case handle sights only went out to 600. ( appx. 550 yards) The advantage of the fixed or suit case handle is that you can get a true 400, 500, & 600 meter zero That a BUIS sight wont give you. Example given- if you have a man size target 500m away, and you put your sights on 500m, and you find that your rounds are falling short, you can add a few extra "clicks" of elevation, so lets say you needed 3 extra clicks to hit the target at 500 meters, you now know that your 500m sight setting is 500 plus (+3)... 400m might be 400 (-1) etc...etc...

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code

Late to the party as usual. @freedom, I owe you a PM.

First, which front sight base is installed? "F" height or A2? Hopefully it's an F height FSB if the upper is a flat top. Sight radius won't matter, but the longer length will help you with accuracy. The height of the FSB will matter though.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Disregard my previous. Just reread the OP. Rail attached front sight will work fine with a detachable carry handle. No worries.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Off the top of my head, M16A2 the sights go out to 800 meters ( to engage area targets, ie. a groups of guys in formation) 600m for Point targets ( one dude) The reason the M4 and the M16A4 are limited to 600 meters is b/c the suit case handle sights only went out to 600. ( appx. 550 yards) The advantage of the fixed or suit case handle is that you can get a true 400, 500, & 600 meter zero That a BUIS sight wont give you. Example given- if you have a man size target 500m away, and you put your sights on 500m, and you find that your rounds are falling short, you can add a few extra "clicks" of elevation, so lets say you needed 3 extra clicks to hit the target at 500 meters, you now know that your 500m sight setting is 500 plus (+3)... 400m might be 400 (-1) etc...etc...

I'll be getting all this data in January at a KD clinic, but for right now I'm limited to 200 yards. I'll be writing everything down, and will know exactly what adjustments for what distances then, I just didn't know if there was an optimum sight radius to make the standard come ups have a greater chance of being true.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Disregard my previous. Just reread the OP. Rail attached front sight will work fine with a detachable carry handle. No worries.

Hopefully I'll make the range this weekend. Right now it's a bushmaster carry handle with a YHM fixed front that came on a rifle I traded into, but have never used.

I'm thinking it will work. I'm going to sight in, confirm at 1 & 200, and make sure it returns to zero. I'm also going to measure the front sight width in MOA to see if it will work well at distance.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I'll be getting all this data in January at a KD clinic, but for right now I'm limited to 200 yards. I'll be writing everything down, and will know exactly what adjustments for what distances then, I just didn't know if there was an optimum sight radius to make the standard come ups have a greater chance of being true.

What's KD clinic?