Can't decide, need some input from y'all (which AR upper)

Howard Law

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I have narrowed down my upper choices to these two

1. Fixed front sight and put a Magpul MOE SL for end on it
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14-bfh.htm

2. Looks cooler but much more expensive and if have to buy front and rear sights
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...er-Group-w-B-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-kmr-a-13.htm

These both have their hammer forged barrels, the standard barrel models are a little cheaper. Is it worth the extra money?

So give me the pros and cons and what y'all think. all I plan to ad led to them is a light, aimpoint, sling, and maybe a fore grip of some sort.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I have narrowed down my upper choices to these two

1. Fixed front sight and put a Magpul MOE SL for end on it
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14-bfh.htm

2. Looks cooler but much more expensive and if have to buy front and rear sights
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...er-Group-w-B-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh-kmr-a-13.htm

These both have their hammer forged barrels, the standard barrel models are a little cheaper. Is it worth the extra money?

So give me the pros and cons and what y'all think. all I plan to ad led to them is a light, aimpoint, sling, and maybe a fore grip of some sort.
You'll never blast the rifling out of either one unless you set out to try. When I build another one (probably sooner than later) I'm going away from the fixed front sight. I like the ability to drop a red dot on the upper without having it obscure my field of view. It just drives me nuts seeing it in my sight picture, but I'm also the type of guy that can't wear a crooked sock and wants lawnmower lines to be perfectly straight in the yard.

It looks like they both have a chrome bore and chamber, so you're gtg either way.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I'm just the opposite of Laufen, I like the front sight post. It really dosen't matter either way, the set up you go with, I very much doubt you will wear out the barrel... That being said, I'm surprised your going with a BCM upper, since your on a tight budget. I would have thought that you would have gone with a PSA upper. IMHO, its a lot more bang for your buck.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I'm also a PSA fan- good product at a good price. No doubt BCM makes a better product, but you do pay more for it.

As far as the CHF barrel goes, I'd have to make a serious guess as to how many rounds this upper will realistically see. If it's not over 10K or 12K rounds, I wouldn't even consider the CHF barrel.

Also consider that 10K rounds of steel cased ammo at 0.22/round means the barrel has eaten $2,200 worth of ammo (and that's really cheap ammo these days). Given the ammo cost, I can justify replacing a barrel if it's worn out at that point.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I'm just the opposite of Laufen, I like the front sight post. It really dosen't matter either way, the set up you go with, I very much doubt you will wear out the barrel... That being said, I'm surprised your going with a BCM upper, since your on a tight budget. I would have thought that you would have gone with a PSA upper. IMHO, its a lot more bang for your buck.

I thought about it. But this is probably going to be my only AR so I figure I would go with a slightly "nicer" brand. And honestly a lot of it is PSA is almost never in stock.

Reactions: dial1911

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I'm also a PSA fan- good product at a good price. No doubt BCM makes a better product, but you do pay more for it.

As far as the CHF barrel goes, I'd have to make a serious guess as to how many rounds this upper will realistically see. If it's not over 10K or 12K rounds, I wouldn't even consider the CHF barrel.

Also consider that 10K rounds of steel cased ammo at 0.22/round means the barrel has eaten $2,200 worth of ammo (and that's really cheap ammo these days). Given the ammo cost, I can justify replacing a barrel if it's worn out at that point.

It will probably see that many rounds over its life. This will be my only AR probably so it will see a bunch of rounds over the years.

Reactions: dial1911

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
This^^^^

Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
Just a heads up, neither of those come with the flash Hider pinned without upgrading, so you'll need to upgraded in the drop down menu or take it to somewhere to have it pinned.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Just a heads up, neither of those come with the flash Hider pinned without upgrading, so you'll need to upgraded in the drop down menu or take it to somewhere to have it pinned.
Yeah, it'd suck to go to prison and not be able to shoot the new AR.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I did make sure that was on option. I just wanted to get it as short as possible so it worth the extra few bucks for it and I don't see a can in my future so it's not a problem.

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
It will probably see that many rounds over its life. This will be my only AR probably so it will see a bunch of rounds over the years.

The service life of a army M16 barrel is appx. 40-50k. I have a rifle with AT LEAST 10k, but probably more like 15k on the barrel and it runs just fine. The vast majority of that was M855 ball ammo, but it did shoot its a fair share of steel ammo. I quit shooting steel ammo b/c it was inaccurate, the wolf ammo isnt too bad, but stay away from the silver bear, that stuff is just shitty. I decided that my cheep ass would rather spend a few more bucks, and hit the damn target, then shoot all around a 15 inch steel target @ 100 yards, that ended up costing me 1st place in a 3 gun competition in WI.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Oh I really like fixed front sights with irons on the rear, or a 3x or bigger scope so I don't have to see the front sight and have it obscure my sight picture. If I had to choose a shtf setup it'd definitely have a fixed front sight. I just don't like it with a red dot, and he mentioned an Aimpoint.

Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
The service life of a army M16 barrel is appx. 40-50k. I have a rifle with AT LEAST 10k, but probably more like 15k on the barrel and it runs just fine. The vast majority of that was M855 ball ammo, but it did shoot its a fair share of steel ammo. I quit shooting steel ammo b/c it was inaccurate, the wolf ammo isnt too bad, but stay away from the silver bear, that stuff is just shitty. I decided that my cheep ass would rather spend a few more bucks, and hit the damn target, then shoot all around a 15 inch steel target @ 100 yards, that ended up costing me 1st place in a 3 gun competition in WI.

I put about 10k through a 7.5" Noveske CHF and abused the hell out of it, including 3-1000+rd days. It was just as accurate the last time if shot it as it was the first.

I run a lot of Tula, but I switch to federal if I'm trying to iron out a deficiency or try something new.

As for the front sight, that's just a matter of personal preference. I don't mind it, and I like to keep shit simple, so having one less moving part is a bonus.

Reactions: EugenFJR

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I put about 10k through a 7.5" Noveske CHF and abused the hell out of it, including 3-1000+rd days. It was just as accurate the last time if shot it as it was the first.

I run a lot of Tula, but I switch to federal if I'm trying to iron out a deficiency or try something new.

As for the front sight, that's just a matter of personal preference. I don't mind it, and I like to keep shit simple, so having one less moving part is a bonus.

Most people have no idea, how much abuse these rifles can take...

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

So do you think the hammer forged is worth the extra money?

I am trying to build this rifle for the long term with as much quality as I can afford on the important parts.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
So do you think the hammer forged is worth the extra money?

I am trying to build this rifle for the long term with as much quality as I can afford on the important parts.

You don't need it, but it might make selling it easier in the future. Like others said, you won't be shooting out either. From my reading, it's probably more accurate than chrome lined, but not enough to matter.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
random thoughts:

I love bcm. love it. my car and safe are covered in those star stickers.

go with the lightest set up possible.

a quality red dot like aimpoint, is never a detriment to a setup unless it's too heavy and you're not a specimen of physical fitness.

irons are excellent. they never fail unless you're in some really fucked up situation.

the cold hammer forging or BFH from BCM is worth it if you plan on having this setup forever. my "go-to rifle" has a bcm upper.

if you're AR rifle parts are available on Amazon prime, you're doing it wrong.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
random thoughts:

I love bcm. love it. my car and safe are covered in those star stickers.

go with the lightest set up possible.

a quality red dot like aimpoint, is never a detriment to a setup unless it's too heavy and you're not a specimen of physical fitness.

irons are excellent. they never fail unless you're in some really fucked up situation.

the cold hammer forging or BFH from BCM is worth it if you plan on having this setup forever. my "go-to rifle" has a bcm upper.

if you're AR rifle parts are available on Amazon prime, you're doing it wrong.

I got a Troy HK style fixed front sight off Amazon. I guess I'll trash it now.