Bullpups

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Typically speaking the bull pups suffer from poor trigger pull.

Otherwise, it's a brilliant idea putting the mag behind the pistol grip. Makes the weapon much more compact.

I fondled an RPD at Cherokee a couple of weeks ago. Pretty cool concept. Way to pricey for me to jump in, though.
Depends on the gun newer bull pups have much better linkages. The electronic 10/22 bull pup trigger is AMAZING!

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I love the concept. It just bothers me that the boiler room is right under my jaw and that the trigger is 5 feet away from where the hammer is dropped. But the only thing keeping me from getting a tavor is the price. Once I can get my hands on one for a grand or less I'll probably pic one up.
The keltec 308 bull pup has a specially designed top cover that creates a designed failure point to the side right. Good for righties bad for lefties

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I have a tavor and previously owned a steyr aug. both are very fine weapons that allow full 5.56 16" barrel ballistics out of an SBR sized weapon. The problem most people will have is that they're already accustomed to ARs or AKs and those manual of arms. If the tavor was my one and only rifle, you can bet your ass I'd be as quick or quicker with reloads, etc. the trigger pull is pretty standard for non-AR service rifles. Also, it can be adjusted to something close to a milspec AR trigger very easily by removing one spring.

Other things that I like: you will not find a weapon with an easier to remove barrel than the AUG. it's a shame no one makes a 300 blk barrel for one, though. I also don't mind the "action" being so close to my face. No homo. The steyr and AUG are both battle-proven weapons and are very, very reliable. You can bet that the Israelis wouldn't put a weapon into service that was dangerous to its soldiers. Ditto for Austria and Australia.

Now, things I don't like. Despite extensive use of polymer / plastic on the AUG and Tavor, both are pretty damn heavy when compared with other popular 556-shooting rifles. Also, bench shooting is a challenge to say the least. For the home hobbyist, you're not going to find much that you can do or change to these rifles out of the box. The AUGs front grip caused me to think "wtf were they thinking" numerous times. It just doesn't work for me (but it can be changed). Lastly, they are expensive.

All-in-all, I'm still happy with my $1650 tavor that I purchased a year and a half ago. I have no plans to get rid of it. If I had to grab one rifle and go, it would be a hard choice for me between the tavor and my BCM mid length.

Reactions: Shemp