Because I'm a Tightwad and have Gay(awesome) Tastes

Howard Law

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I want my new Smith Victory to be not stainless. God I hate the look of stainless guns, but I'm not really wanting to spend $125 just to change it's color.

What's my best cheap option?

What kind of spray paint is best?

Primer?

Degrease with mineral spirits?

Danke

Reactions: sam

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
You know you would probably devalue it by $125 spray bombing it vs just getting it cerakoted.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Depends... do you like a worn camo look? Some friends have done their rifles with Krylon's "camo" line of spray paint- it's really flat and sticks pretty good. You still have to be careful with cleaning solvents though.

I think duracoat makes a canned spray paint now- if that stuff is still a 2 part epoxy paint, it should be really solvent resistant and reasonably durable. I don't know what it costs- probably $15 a can.

And definitely degrease it first. I've used brake parts cleaner (be careful with non steel metals!) and lacquer thinner. Remove all the plastic parts first.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
So if your a tightwad how are you in this predicament?

A. You spent the money on the gun
B. You want to devalue the gun with your spray paint skills
C. Maybe you should just bedazzled it (awesome taste)

So just spend the money and do it right.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I DIY with gunkote. I use a paint gun, but you can get it in an aerosol can and it bakes on much like Cerakote. I use a little $15 harbor freight sandblast gun to prep them with. It doesn't matter what you put on if it's not prepped right. Fine grit aluminum oxide is ideal. When you bake it you will release oil from the metal, so you must pre bake it and clean it again with acetone or brake cleaner before you spray it.

All you need is a blaster, some aluminum oxide, some acetone, an air compressor, paint gun and an old oven or good toaster oven. All said and done it should't cost you more than $1,000 or so to do it yourself.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I DIY with gunkote. I use a paint gun, but you can get it in an aerosol can and it bakes on much like Cerakote. I use a little $15 harbor freight sandblast gun to prep them with. It doesn't matter what you put on if it's not prepped right. Fine grit aluminum oxide is ideal. When you bake it you will release oil from the metal, so you must pre bake it and clean it again with acetone or brake cleaner before you spray it.

All you need is a blaster, some aluminum oxide, some acetone, an air compressor, paint gun and an old oven or good toaster oven. All said and done it should't cost you more than $1,000 or so to do it yourself.

The paint guy has very good information! :) I never even considered that the metal might 'bleed oil' when it was heated during the baking process. Of course, I've never had to do a hot process on the things I've painted (or duracoated)

Reactions: Cudruln

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I never even considered that the metal might 'bleed oil' when it was heated during the baking process.
I'd love to tell you that I came to that knowledge as a result of a lifetime of refinishing experience, but like most things, I learned it the hard way. "If at first you don't succeed, google it and then try again" That's my motto.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I'd love to tell you that I came to that knowledge as a result of a lifetime of refinishing experience, but like most things, I learned it the hard way. "If at first you don't succeed, google it and then try again" That's my motto.

Awesome motto... I'm generally the guy that does it the way I think it should be done, then repeat using the instructions (when applicable).

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
You know you would probably devalue it by $125 spray bombing it vs just getting it cerakoted.
I couldn't care less about the perceived value to the public.
[DOUBLEPOST=1461208559][/DOUBLEPOST]
So if your a tightwad how are you in this predicament?

A. You spent the money on the gun
B. You want to devalue the gun with your spray paint skills
C. Maybe you should just bedazzled it (awesome taste)

So just spend the money and do it right.
IF the gun doesn't lose value to me, it doesn't lose value- Ancient Chinese Proverb.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
As much as you sell and trade guns, if I was was you I'd leave it alone... The .32 you got from Strider12, I'd strip it and cerakote it, but its pitted and worn, and looks like shit, this sounds like a nicer gun, I suggest putting up pics, so we can make a better decision.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

Sweet, I have most of that shit.
[DOUBLEPOST=1461208646][/DOUBLEPOST]
As much as you sell and trade guns, if I was was you I'd leave it alone... The .32 you got from Strider12, I'd strip it and cerakote it, but its pitted and worn, and looks like shit, this sounds like a nicer gun, I suggest putting up pics, so we can make a better decision.
I trade the shit out of guns...and this one has never had a round through it.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I trade the shit out of guns...and this one has never had a round through it.

Then don't fuck with it...:confused: Just my .02 cents...[/QUOTE]
I don't care if I lose money on trades :D

Why don't I get a full 2 cents. two hundredths of a cent seems pretty cheap;.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I don't care if I lose money on trades :D

Why don't I get a full 2 cents. two hundredths of a cent seems pretty cheap;.

Or maybe two hundredths of a dollar...

My advice is discounted based on circumstance.[/QUOTE]
lol, it's a pet peeve. People that write 32 cents as .32 cents. :D I once went into a Gas N Shop in Nebraska that had individual cans of pop advertised for .40 cents and put a penny on the counter and left. lol

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Or maybe two hundredths of a dollar...

My advice is discounted based on circumstance.
lol, it's a pet peeve. People that write 32 cents as .32 cents. :D I once went into a Gas N Shop in Nebraska that had individual cans of pop advertised for .40 cents and put a penny on the counter and left. lol[/QUOTE]

I get it- just giving you a hard time. I should be all set to meet you some time Sunday afternoon. I think I'm going to take all three kids to the World of Coke, then the market, and finally to meet you. After all that's over, we are all headed back to Macon.

Reactions: Laufen

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
$1.09 One dollar and nine cents..... 0.02 two cents... 0.20 would be 20 cents... My BS isn't worth that much...

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Cool
lol, it's a pet peeve. People that write 32 cents as .32 cents. :D I once went into a Gas N Shop in Nebraska that had individual cans of pop advertised for .40 cents and put a penny on the counter and left. lol

I get it- just giving you a hard time. I should be all set to meet you some time Sunday afternoon. I think I'm going to take all three kids to the World of Coke, then the market, and finally to meet you. After all that's over, we are all headed back to Macon.[/QUOTE]cool. I should still be alive then.