AR upper thread

Faktory 47

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Aug 14, 2015
CANTON, GA
Zip code
I am looking for info on uppers and figured I would start a dedicated thread for anyone looking for info on uppers like I am.

I have 3-4 lowers built out and have been slacking on getting uppers for them because I cant decide on what I want. so can someone school me on what I can put on my lowers? do I need a different BCG for the calibers? different Magazines? What are some decent brands for the price?

the calibers I am looking at getting uppers in are 300 BLK ( I know you can use the same Mag, and BCG). 7.62x39, because ammo is cheap, is it worth it? 6.5 creedmoor or 6.8 for long shots and accuracy. and of course I am gonna have another one setup for 5.56. is there another option that I am over looking?

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I am looking for info on uppers and figured I would start a dedicated thread for anyone looking for info on uppers like I am.

I have 3-4 lowers built out and have been slacking on getting uppers for them because I cant decide on what I want. so can someone school me on what I can put on my lowers? do I need a different BCG for the calibers? different Magazines? What are some decent brands for the price?

the calibers I am looking at getting uppers in are 300 BLK ( I know you can use the same Mag, and BCG). 7.62x39, because ammo is cheap, is it worth it? 6.5 creedmoor or 6.8 for long shots and accuracy. and of course I am gonna have another one setup for 5.56. is there another option that I am over looking?

300 BLK - All standard 5.56 parts except for the barrel. (Even the mags are good.)
6.8 SPC - Same BCG but different bolt, different barrel, different magazines
7.62x39 - Same BCG but different bolt, different barrel, different magazines

As far as quality, I like FN barrels. Also, try to get Full Auto/M16 BCGs...

The rest is up to you and how much of a quality upper you would want. I personally get PSA uppers because they have FN barrels and they are reasonably priced. If you want speciality uppers that the military uses, go with DD... you'll pay for the quality though...

Some other affordable but decent quality uppers are...
Bravo Company
Del-ton - Never owned one myself but I hear they are OK for the price
http://aeroprecisionusa.com

Or you can just build your own using the tutorial on this site...

Other things to consider is what gas block you want... I'd go with a low profile so you can change out the rails easier. Going from a fixed site gas block to a low profile is a PITA.

Also, I prefer M4 feed ramps myself... just preference. And it also depends on what barrel length you want too. If you want chrome or chrome lined... M4 or pencil... or even a heavier bull barrel.

Last edited:

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I love my 7.62x39 AR. It's my second favorite only to my 9mm SBR. Currently putting together a 300aac SBR to serve as a host for my pending Arc30.

Reactions: Cudruln

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I have never delved into an AR x39 upper because "AK" (seems to work with that round with less hassle) but I have contemplated the AR x39 upper many times.

300BLK is a no brainer. I have one SBR currently and the ammo prices seem to be coming down a bit. With the more expensive subsonic ammo and a specwar762 can, this SBR produces sound levels that cannot be beat in medium caliber, center fire ammo IMO. Also I am currently thinking of a 16" upper (I owned one previously) for white tails with supersonic ammo which would suffice for all of my hunting purposes.

22LR is also nice but if you have a 10/22 or other 22 rifle it might not make much sense.

9mm AR SBR - this is my favorite. For a day at the range with a suppressor and 147gr ammo, this puts the biggest smile on my face. You can really slim down the profile without much performance loss, i.e. a barrel less than 5" won't affect terminal performance in 9mm like it would with 556. In the SBR configuration with a direct thread suppressor, you can get a total barrel plus muzzle device length that is less than a 14" 556 upper. It is super slick and an absolute blast (excuse the pun) for plinking.

6.8spc upper (or 6.5 Grendel) will really stretch the ballistic capabilities of ammo that fits through an AR-15 magwell. These are also great for medium sized game if you're a hunter.

The beauty of the AR-15 lower is that it allows for a wide range of calibers a for multiple purposes - even more so if it's form 1.

If you're looking at a specific combination of any of the above, let me know in this thread. I hopefully can talk to why I like certain configurations versus others.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I have never delved into an AR x39 upper because "AK" (seems to work with that round with less hassle) but I have contemplated the AR x39 upper many times.
I've had absolutely zero hassle with mine. Built it and shoot it just like any 5.56 gun I've ever built. Stop contemplating and DO IT! I know you won't regret it. I think a lot of the complaints came from the early days when people were trying to use and/or convert 5.56 parts. The biggest problem being the magazines and the m4 feed ramps. I think pretty much all manufacturers have all that worked out now.

300BLK is a no brainer. I have one SBR currently and the ammo prices seem to be coming down a bit. With the more expensive subsonic ammo and a specwar762 can, this SBR produces sound levels that cannot be beat in medium caliber, center fire ammo IMO. Also I am currently thinking of a 16" upper (I owned one previously) for white tails with supersonic ammo which would suffice for all of my hunting purposes.
I'm really looking forward to mine. I have the upper, the form 1 pending on the lower and an Arc30 in jail.

22LR is also nice but if you have a 10/22 or other 22 rifle it might not make much sense.
The cost of building an AR in .22 doesn't seem make sense to me when you can buy M&Ps and HK416s in .22 cheaper than you can build one.

9mm AR SBR - this is my favorite. For a day at the range with a suppressor and 147gr ammo, this puts the biggest smile on my face. You can really slim down the profile without much performance loss, i.e. a barrel less than 5" won't affect terminal performance in 9mm like it would with 556. In the SBR configuration with a direct thread suppressor, you can get a total barrel plus muzzle device length that is less than a 14" 556 upper. It is super slick and an absolute blast (excuse the pun) for plinking.
Agreed. Suppressed 5.5" 9mm SBR is hard to beat.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I've had absolutely zero hassle with mine. Built it and shoot it just like any 5.56 gun I've ever built. Stop contemplating and DO IT! I know you won't regret it. I think a lot of the complaints came from the early days when people were trying to use and/or convert 5.56 parts. The biggest problem being the magazines and the m4 feed ramps. I think pretty much all manufacturers have all that worked out now.

I'm really looking forward to mine. I have the upper, the form 1 pending on the lower and an Arc30 in jail.

The cost of building an AR in .22 doesn't seem make sense to me when you can buy M&Ps and HK416s in .22 cheaper than you can build one.

Agreed. Suppressed 5.5" 9mm SBR is hard to beat.

With the x39 upper - I would build one if I ever sold my MAK90.

Agreed on the 22 upper. I had a 5.56 upper that the barrel extension was out of spec (cheap budget barrel) that I made into my semi-permanent deuce deuce slinger with the conversion kit. I already had all of the parts so it was sunk cost. If I were starting from scratch, I would go the path you were suggesting or probably a 10/22.

Also, DirectorofComp - I believe the OP stated 6.5 creedmore when he probably meant 6.5 Grendel.

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Aug 14, 2015
CANTON, GA
Zip code
With the x39 upper - I would build one if I ever sold my MAK90.

Agreed on the 22 upper. I had a 5.56 upper that the barrel extension was out of spec (cheap budget barrel) that I made into my semi-permanent deuce deuce slinger with the conversion kit. I already had all of the parts so it was sunk cost. If I were starting from scratch, I would go the path you were suggesting or probably a 10/22.

Also, DirectorofComp - I believe the OP stated 6.5 creedmore when he probably meant 6.5 Grendel.
correct

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Well sell me that mak and build one.

I have 1st dibbs on the MAK-90...:) I traded it to him for a Arsenal 5.56 AK. I got out of 7.62x39, but kept that rifle for years after I got rid of all of my other stuff. I still wish I had it. Its the best shooting AK, I've ever seen.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I have 1st dibbs on the MAK-90...:) I traded it to him for a Arsenal 5.56 AK. I got out of 7.62x39, but kept that rifle for years after I got rid of all of my other stuff. I still wish I had it. Its the best shooting AK, I've ever seen.
I've got a Mak 90 Sporter and I love it. I wish I did have a pair.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code

Eugen has first dibbs but I have no plans to sell it.

I have owned several AKs now but none of them were keepers like this.