Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
So...the general consensus that I have seen from the internetz is that Lowers are all basically the same if sourced from "reputable" companies ( Anderson, Noveske, PSA, etc).

How about LPKs? Triggers aside, are pins really just pins? I have seen everything from only use Colt/DD/LWRC to use whatever is cheapest.

Thoughts?

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
The rule as I understand it has always been that you can skimp on lowers but not uppers.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
The rule as I understand it has always been that you can skimp on lowers but not uppers.

got it. I figured if the lower went together fine and functioned there's not much it really does.

I got a good upper.....

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
So...the general consensus that I have seen from the internetz is that Lowers are all basically the same if sourced from "reputable" companies ( Anderson, Noveske, PSA, etc).

How about LPKs? Triggers aside, are pins really just pins? I have seen everything from only use Colt/DD/LWRC to use whatever is cheapest.

Thoughts?

No not all lowers are the same. For your average consumer it may be true though as you'll only see maybe 5-10 lowers. I've seen over a thousand of lowers from Aero, Spikes, Anderson, Mega, Bushmaster, Seekins, and PSA. People say a PSA lower is the same as an Aero lower because Aero makes them. It's not the same lower. It may be from the same forging but manufacturing specs will be different. Tolerances will be different to what the contract states.

Sometimes an Aero lower won't match a PSA upper as tight as with a PSA lower but sometimes it does. Ever install a LPK and it was super easy but had one that was difficult to get the roll pin in? It boils down to tolerance of the specs.

I've had batches of Aero lowers where the forging seams are not grounded down. But the next batch and they are ground down.

Same goes for LPKs. I've seen cheap ass LPKs before. Especially in the safety. If the finish isn't right, there's no tactile feeling of when its set to fire to safe. Roll pins are too big or small. Weak or strong tension in springs.

Best LPK in my experience are RRA. They are consistent. I've sold hundreds of them and not single complaint. Aero lowers are fairly consistent. Best forged lowers are Mega, Aero or Spikes. High end lowers, Noveske is good. Best billet is NFA or Seekins.

Reactions: jwtug

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
No not all lowers are the same. For your average consumer it may be true though as you'll only see maybe 5-10 lowers. I've seen over a thousand of lowers from Aero, Spikes, Anderson, Mega, Bushmaster, Seekins, and PSA. People say a PSA lower is the same as an Aero lower because Aero makes them. It's not the same lower. It may be from the same forging but manufacturing specs will be different. Tolerances will be different to what the contract states.

Sometimes an Aero lower won't match a PSA upper as tight as with a PSA lower but sometimes it does. Ever install a LPK and it was super easy but had one that was difficult to get the roll pin in? It boils down to tolerance of the specs.

I've had batches of Aero lowers where the forging seams are not grounded down. But the next batch and they are ground down.

Same goes for LPKs. I've seen cheap ass LPKs before. Especially in the safety. If the finish isn't right, there's no tactile feeling of when its set to fire to safe. Roll pins are too big or small. Weak or strong tension in springs.

Best LPK in my experience are RRA. They are consistent. I've sold hundreds of them and not single complaint. Aero lowers are fairly consistent. Best forged lowers are Mega, Aero or Spikes. High end lowers, Noveske is good. Best billet is NFA or Seekins.

How does Anderson compare? I have always heard they were just fine and know a few that are run FA with zero issues....

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I currently have spikes and Anderson. The spikes lower seems to be of better quality than the Anderson. All though the Anderson will work for my intended purpose, it just doesn't seem to be the greatest. As far as lpk (cmg, spikes, Anderson and rra) spikes and rra seem to be the best I have used so far. I currently just used a Anderson and had some minor issues, but nothing that was major, like the mag catch bolt was bent. Obviously the company I got it from just gave me a replacement, but still a set back. As far as "factory" triggers spikes is nice. But a good aftermarket trigger like giessel is the tits.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've certainly noticed differences. Mainly in the triggers like you said, but also in other areas. One of the last ones I put together has a sticky mag release. CMMG's gun builders kits are my favorite.

Reactions: Shemp

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
There's a guy on eBay that sometimes had the RRA trigger for less than $70. Great trigger for the money.

I don't know how they stack up, but I like how CMMG lpks are packaged.

Reactions: dial1911 and Shemp

DoglegArms

Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
How does Anderson compare? I have always heard they were just fine and know a few that are run FA with zero issues....

Anderson is fine. PSA is fine. I've built with both. I'm just saying when you build a lot, you can tell the difference in how manf tolerances vary. I don't care for Anderson and I don't sell them but that's just my preference.

Only thing I'll say I won't buy is PSA LPKs. I bought 20 and 2 had triggers out of spec. Like they wouldn't fit into the AR out of spec. Most people are probably ok and never had that problem.

Reactions: Shemp

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Anderson is fine. PSA is fine. I've built with both. I'm just saying when you build a lot, you can tell the difference in how manf tolerances vary. I don't care for Anderson and I don't sell them but that's just my preference.

Only thing I'll say I won't buy is PSA LPKs. I bought 20 and 2 had triggers out of spec. Like they wouldn't fit into the AR out of spec. Most people are probably ok and never had that problem.
I've bought two Psa kits and also had two triggers out of spec. And by out of spec I mean made of 36 grit sandpaper. I'm glad to finally hear it was not just me who has had issues with them. I took both out and replaced them. One with ALG ACT and one with that RockRiver. That RR is very nice for the price.

Reactions: DoglegArms

DoglegArms

Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code
I've bought two Psa kits and also had two triggers out of spec. And by out of spec I mean made of 36 grit sandpaper. I'm glad to finally hear it was not just me who has had issues with them. I took both out and replaced them. One with ALG ACT and one with that RockRiver. That RR is very nice for the price.

That sucks. ALG triggers are awesome, the other 50% of my builds are with them.