A new rifle may be in my future

Howard Law

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
As some of you know, I recently went with my buddy to shoot a bunch of guns including his Savage Model 12 .223 rifle. It had been a while since I shot a centerfire rifle and it got me thinking that I would not mind having one again. In the past they were always for hunting, which I don't do anymore. The only centerfire rifle I currently own is a Ruger M77 that belonged to my father. I don't shoot it but maybe once or twice a year. Anyway, I just watched an episode of Ruger Inside Out that I had DVR'ed and low and behold....it was about the Mini 14. Most of you know I am a big time Ruger fan but it is not like that is all I own or anything. Here is what I would look for, hopefully in one rifle.

•It needs to be fun to shoot so I am not looking for a 700 Win Mag or anything of that nature.
•Semi-auto preferred.
•A gun that would be reasonably accurate at a 100 yards or more.
•Pleasant to shoot, but still enough fire-power to knock down a coyote or BG.
•Budget is variable. This will not be an immediate purchase so I can build up funds as needed.....within reason. I am not looking to drop a grand but could get close if needed.

I am fairly well versed in shotguns and handguns, but need guidance in this area.
OK guys and gals. I am open and listening.

M

mukwah

Nothing wrong with the Mini-14! It's a nice rifle and it fits all the criteria! I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything, almost!8)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
BD - you could do well with an AR-15. Here's my lightweight version, minus a few minor changes made after the photo session:

AR-15 Right Side.jpg

These things are a ball to shoot and to work on. I also handload almost all the ammunition I shoot through it.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
That is definitely cool Skip. I am a little lost on the whole AR platform deal. There are so many choices and such a wide price range that I feel a little behind the learning curve on all that stuff. ???

M

mukwah

If its tactical you're looking for this is the Mini 14/20CF. A Mini 14 with an ATI stock installed and fitted at the factory by Ruger. Got mine about 2 years ago for $750 although I think they are a little higher now. Folding adjustable stock, picatinny rails and flash suppressor make it a sweet shooter.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
mukwah said:
If its tactical you're looking for this is the Mini 14/20CF. A Mini 14 with an ATI stock installed and fitted at the factory by Ruger. Got mine about 2 years ago for $750 although I think they are a little higher now. Folding adjustable stock, picatinny rails and flash suppressor make it a sweet shooter.

mini's are fun and it seems SRC has made enough changes to get their accuracy dialed in pretty good as well. BGS still has the 14 tactical (with the collapsible stock and railed fore end) for less than $700 shipped if you pay cash. i like the 30 tactical a little more but they're both a lot of fun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/56841/ruger_mini_14_223_collapsablefolding_stock

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Those are cool for sure. I am back and forth on the tactical vs. the mini garand look. I don't think they make the wood stock at all now so that kinda tells you that most people are going tactical.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I am also taking a good look at the Saiga 5.56. It is an AK style and would be a matching sister to my shotguns, which means I would already be very familiar with it. I definitely like the Saiga shotguns.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
bigdogdaddy said:
I am also taking a good look at the Saiga 5.56. It is an AK style and would be a matching sister to my shotguns, which means I would already be very familiar with it. I definitely like the Saiga shotguns.

didn't know there was a 5.56 Saiga but it wouldn't surprise me. the AK74 variants I've fired were loads of fun also but they were all 5.45x39. that ammo is even cheaper than 7.62x39. much lighter recoil. AR type accuracy and range (depending on who you ask). reasonably cheap.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I didn't know they made a 5.56 either until I ran across it on a gun website I was looking at. I hear you framedcraig 1. I really like Saiga, but there are some undeniable pluses for the Ruger Mini 14. It is a Ruger. It is American made. As many as they have sold, they must be a pretty good gun.

Probably the safest thing to do would be to buy both. :D

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Agreed Skip. What I like about the AR, if what I read is true, is that a good quality AR is more accurate than the Mini 14 or the AK. That is the one knock on both of them. Of course, a fairly big part of that is that both come with a trigger that is not very good.

So let me add a question here. Since I am in the researching and saving mode, I have plenty of time. What 5.56 would be the most accurate at 100 yards for $1000 or under?

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
bigdogdaddy said:
Agreed Skip. What I like about the AR, if what I read is true, is that a good quality AR is more accurate than the Mini 14 or the AK. That is the one knock on both of them. Of course, a fairly big part of that is that both come with a trigger that is not very good.

So what would a guy have to spend for a decent AR, since there seems to be about 500 choices!
You should be able to get a very serviceable AR chambered for 5.56x45 (1:9 twist) for right around $1000 new.

Of course, you may want to modify the rifle and/or add things to it and the total could easily come up to the $2000 or so I have in mine (which includes special tools that I bought for working on it and for loading ammo).

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
When you guys get a chance, check out the Ruger Mini 14 Target model with harmonic tuner on the barrel. The tuner is used to fine tune your rifle to your ammo and to tighten up the groups. The gun can be shot with or without the tuner. It will shoot 1 inch groups and Jeff does a nice review on the Gunblast website. I don't like thumbhole stocks but Ruger offers it with a Hogue Overmolded stock that I like better. Down sideds: added lenght and weight over typical ranch style Mini. Obviously this is a gun that I would need to handle before purchase to check out weight difference, balance, etc. Any thoughts on this one?