9mm for large hands?

American Revival Apparel Company
R

rayzer007

A friend at church was considering a Kahr CW9; but after dry firing mine once, he said it pinched his trigger finger on the topside. He has hands like a bear. Can anyone suggest a 9mm with a large trigger guard area that might be more comfortable for him? He's going to the gun shop to try a few different models, but I thought I'd ask around for any recommendations/input. Thanks!

Ray

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Springfield Armory XDm. Three different backstraps to work with different sized hands. I have large hands but my daughters are smaller and we both have them. Not for CC unless the rest of him is large or he wears loose clothes.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
SkipD said:
Though it's a bit tough to conceal, the grip on the Beretta 92FS is perfect for larger hands.

If I were to carry a big gun, it would be a 1911 that threw those big beautiful .45 bullets, but if I wanted a big 9mm it would be the Baretta 92. I like everything about it.

Sassi

Hunter
Mar 7, 2010
Middle Georgia
I will stick with my old S&W model 659. A stainless steel gun, with a fourteen round magazine. Yeah it is heavy, but a great gun to shoot!!

Tarheel

Hunter
....Ray, I have the SR9, PPS and 92FS. All are excellent handguns and very reliable. I suppose I'd go for the 92 if forced to make a selection out the door. The PPS might not provide the room he needs in the trigger guard, however. The Ruger is slightly lighter than the 92 and has a two round advantage, but when you get to 15+ capacity, I don't think that is too important. You're spot on with having your friend handle the guns at the LGS. It's the only way to find the right fit. What the others suggested are fine candidates too.

Take care,

Tarheel

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Sassi said:
I will stick with my old S&W model 659. A stainless steel gun, with a fourteen round magazine. Yeah it is heavy, but a great gun to shoot!!
My S&W model 669 compact. 12 rounds. You can easily believe you can group all 12 through the same hole. It was definitely made for a larger hand than mine, but who cares when it's that good?

R

rayzer007

Well my friend called me yesterday, and said he had tried a Kel-Tec PF9, Walther PPS, Beretta Nano, and a Ruger LC9. I encouraged him to pass on the PF9; the Walther was too expensive for him; he liked the Nano, but ended up choosing the LC9. I told him he would not be disappointed.
Thanks to all for your valued input!

Ray

M

mukwah

Score one more for the LC9! Your friend made a wise choice! JMHO

R

rayzer007

BeyondTheBox said:
I'd try a shorter trigger throw, single action or Ruger sr9...

I also thought the trigger pull was a bit too long, that's why I never got one. I preferred (and purchased) the Kahr CW9. My friend felt, in a SD situation, the action would travel quickly in his oversized, powerful hand. To each his own!

Ray

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
bigdogdaddy said:
Probably in a defense situation he will not even notice it has a trigger pull, long or short. ;)

Thats one thing I find very unique about my wife, She only likes to shoot .22's at the range, yet she keeps my Taurus Judge on her night stand. She has shot this gun and hates it but she said if there is an intruder she won't feel the kick anyways. Same as a trigger pull.

R

rayzer007

RugerRon60 said:
she keeps my Taurus Judge on her night stand. She has shot this gun and hates it but she said if there is an intruder she won't feel the kick anyways.

She'll may feel the kick Ron; but the intruder will REALLY feel it! ;) :D

Ray