9mm AR upper questions

GA Firing Line

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
1. Would you buy a package that has a barrel recessed in the rails?

2. Would you rather pay $70 more and get 1/2x28 threads or just get a 1/2x36 piston?

my thought is that $70 is generally less than a thread job and the 1/2x36 piston is a pain to have around for just one gun.

As for recessed barrel in the rail system, I like them, but is anyone adverse to them? hoe many non silencer buyers are really getting AR9's?

Reactions: DoglegArms

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code

2. Would you rather pay $70 more and get 1/2x28 threads or just get a 1/2x36 piston?

my thought is that $70 is generally less than a thread job and the 1/2x36 piston is a pain to have around for just one gun.

As for recessed barrel in the rail system, I like them, but is anyone adverse to them? hoe many non silencer buyers are really getting AR9's?

1. I did.

2. Mine came already threaded 1/2x28 but would have retheaded it that way rather than buy a new mount had it been necessary.

3. I sold a recessed 300 BLK to a guy who didn't own a can. He didn't seem to care.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
1. Yes

2. Yes.

Recessed barrels are cool....if you own a can, if not, I don't see the point and they could actually be dangerous.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
1. Yes

2. Yes.

Recessed barrels are cool....if you own a can, if not, I don't see the point and they could actually be dangerous.
I'll put it this way. We can build a model with a 7.5" barre and be nearly flush with the rail, but it will cost $20 more than a 5.5" barrel model. If I put a "micro" length rail to allow the short barrel to protrude, then the package again goes up by a similar but maybe larger amount.

It's a premium item using unique parts, so we're trying to save in areas where possible because other items are not areas worth compromising on

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code

1) I built mine that way

2) I would pay more to not have to buy and keep up with another part.

3) I still would have built or bought an AR9 even if had I not gotten into NFA stuff. Getting my can is what prompted me to go ahead and build it and was also the reason I decided to go with the 5.5" barrel. I think the setup looks sexiest when most of it is hiding inside the hand guard. I don't build them for looks, but if I'm going to build it, it might as well look as good as possible.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I'll put it this way. We can build a model with a 7.5" barre and be nearly flush with the rail, but it will cost $20 more than a 5.5" barrel model. If I put a "micro" length rail to allow the short barrel to protrude, then the package again goes up by a similar but maybe larger amount.

It's a premium item using unique parts, so we're trying to save in areas where possible because other items are not areas worth compromising on
No, if I had used a 7.5" barrel, then I would have gotten a 9" or even an 11" hand guard.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
1. Yes

2. Yes.

I can't(am scared to) shoot mine without the can on it. I will eventually damage myself that way.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
1. my 7.5" barrel is recessed under a 9" rail. with 9mm it may not matter if I shoot without a can but I have seen issues with high powered rifle calibers. I still keep a Carlson flash can type for when I'm not shooting suppressed.

2. I actually bought a 1/2x36 piston for my 9mm can because the uber cheap barrel I bought had greater than $90 savings over the competition with x28 threads.