1911 bullet mold

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
What bullet mold is everybody using for there 1911?
I am using a Lee 190 grain semi wadcutter.
The main reason I'm using it is It was given to me about 40 years ago.
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
For .45 ACP target bullets, I use a four-cavity Hensley & Gibbs #68S (the S is for Special, I believe) mold, S/N 2077, that was custom made for me to make 230 grain semi-wadcutter bullets using wheel weight material. The standard H&G #68 mold at the time produced nominal 200 grain bullets but H&G could easily change how they cut the mold for custom orders as long as it didn't require a new "cherry" (the bullet-shaped cutter that cuts the cavities). They merely cut the bullet shaped cavities a little deeper into the mold block for my heavier bullets.

H&G started in San Diego in the 1930s and moved to Oregon in late 1964. They were in Murphy, Oregon, when they made my mold. Unfortunately, they closed their business in 1999. Some of H&G's equipment and tooling was sold to Ballisti-Cast who now makes molds that are similar to those produced by H&G. If anyone is interested in H&G and their products, this Hensley & Gibbs Mould Chart Reference Page is a fantastic reference.

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
bigdogdaddy said:
I don't mold bullets......yet.

Same here. I was lucky enough to buy a very large bulk order of plated bullets back before metal prices soared, so have an ample supply of them for now.