Powder question

Howard Law

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
I just started reloading this month. I am using the Lee Pro Auto Disk. It meters fairly consistent (+/- .1 gr) using Unique, but I find using the suggested disk doesn't get me close to the recommended charge (for example for a 124gr 9mm starting load of 4.5gr it says to use disk .47 but I am all the way up to disk .53 and it is dropping 4.4gr).

I assume I should ignore the suggested disk and use the one that actually charges to minimum specs listed in the guide...but thought I better make sure before I start loading a batch the wrong way.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

(Note: With regard to posted reloading data - mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's powder charge amount with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. We highly recommend that you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up after testing each step in the process.)

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Yes, I know what you are saying. Thy under Rate them to be on the safe side it someone don't way the powder charge.
After you find the right charge, Mark it down as a reference for the next time. All ways check your charge on a very good scales. ( ALL WAYS )

RICHGCOOP

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
Thanks Rich...first batch I made (50) I weighed each one. I know it slows the process down (using a turret press) but I am going for safety over speed so it really didn't bother me stopping each time. I started a log to track bullet, disk used, oal, powder type, load etc. Guessing if I use something other than Unique the disk number will change so I'll just keep good records and keep weighing each one.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I have 2 of the LEE 1000 presses now. I usually start check the change on a higher number then thy state.
I did a little tuneup on me powder thrower to make it more accurate. It wasn't making a long enuff stroke.
YES a loading press needs a Hone & Stone all so. LOL
I tune up every thing.

RICHGCOOP

mthanded

Scout
Jun 8, 2012
Middle of Iowa
I was using the Lee powder discs but found that, depending on the powder used, they threw different sometimes and that bothered me. I'm looking at the RCBS powder scale dispenser which will slow down the press but make it more accurate. For 380, I went with the standard scoop from Lee since there isn't much room for a mistake with those.

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
Curious to know how you like the rcbs if you decide to go that route. I debated using it since I could get an exact measure each time instead of picking the closest disk. In the end I went with what I could afford to get started and still might upgrade a bit later.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
briant said:
Curious to know how you like the rcbs if you decide to go that route. I debated using it since I could get an exact measure each time instead of picking the closest disk. In the end I went with what I could afford to get started and still might upgrade a bit later.
This is from my in-progress tutorial in this forum:

Should you measure the weight of the powder load for each and every cartridge? If you are a stickler for accuracy or if you are at the high end of the recommended load range, the answer to this question could be "yes". Most folks who load ammunition don't like to take the time to weigh each charge, though. The alternative is to use a good powder measure.

The Redding 10X powder measure is plenty repeatable enough to keep within 0.1 grain of what I set it up for. I charge a whole tray full of primed cartridges in one process step. Then, I look at them all to make sure that none are either under- or over-charged. When using the Redding 10X powder measure, if a charge feels right (no strange resistance to the handle movement, etc.), it is right.

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
Thanks Skip. I have been reading through your reload info and taking notes as I go. Lots of good stuff there. Thanks for taking the time to put that info together...big help to those of us just starting to reload!!!

mthanded

Scout
Jun 8, 2012
Middle of Iowa

I'm in the same boat as you regarding affordability. I'm saving up for the RCBS right now and it may be awhile since other summer time stuff is here. Anyway, if anyone has hands on experience with these scale/dispensers, I'd like to hear what you think about it.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mthanded said:
Anyway, if anyone has hands on experience with these scale/dispensers, I'd like to hear what you think about it.
I've got an RCBS digital powder scale (made by PACT) that's a few years old. It was made to be the companion to the first RCBS powder feeder that worked in conjunction with a scale.

My scale is very repeatable and very accurate but it does not like "noisy" power (it won't operate well if my house is powered by our standby generator) and it does not like to be banged around (such as operating the loading press right next to it). When I use the scale, I make sure that everything on the bench is still. If I want to weigh every charge, I fill a whole tray full of cartridges without doing anything with the press.

In a nutshell, I would NOT use an automated (measuring) feeder unless its operation was totally separate from all other loading operations.

For the most part, I do all steps individually when loading ammunition. I resize/decap the entire batch, then tumble the entire batch, then prime the entire batch (with a hand priming tool), charge a complete tray full at a time, and seat the bullets of each tray full.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
I use an RCBS powder dispenser. I set it up and carefully adjust the dropped charge until it is exact using a Cabela's digital powder scale and check that with an RCBS balance beam scale. After I am sure of the powder charge, I start charging cartridges and stop after every tenth or fifteenth round to check the dropped charge to make sure it is still consistent. I have not had any problem and never change the procedure. On small batches, I weigh all or sometimes random finished rounds to make sure that they are all the same weight within 1 or 2 grains. It is overkill, but it might prevent a low or high charge round. I have never had one, but still check each time.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
millsriver said:
On small batches, I weigh all or sometimes random finished rounds to make sure that they are all the same weight within 1 or 2 grains. It is overkill, but it might prevent a low or high charge round. I have never had one, but still check each time.
This safety check is precisely why I always put powder into a tray full of cartridges and very carefully observe the levels in all the cartridges, looking for under-charged or over-charged cartridge cases prior to inserting bullets.

Another thing that I do along this line is to make sure that there isn't a single flake of powder in my loading tray before putting the primed cases into it. Then, when doing the powder level inspection I am looking for powder on the loading tray. That can happen if the seal between my funnel (or powder measure drop tube) and the case mouth isn't tight enough. Then, I dump all the cases around the spilled powder and refill them all.

It's been a VERY rare occurrence that I've found a problem, but it's well worth the effort to do the inspection.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I just re-read the thread and had an additional thought re the OP's issues regarding the powder weight thrown vs what the charts say should be thrown by a particular disk.

It is possible that the powder scale being used may be out of tolerance. I always test of my scales (particularly my digital scale) from time to time with some very accurate test weights. That's the only way that I know for sure that what my scales tell me is the honest truth.

I highly recommend that everyone using a powder scale have at least two and preferably three or more test weights of known value to occasionally check the powder scale's accuracy.

Since I have some extremely accurate weights that I use as a reference (and these were tested annually for many years before they were retired from the company I worked for doing calibration work), I could test any other weights against mine as long as they are no heavier than about 97 grams (or 1500 grains). If someone were to send me a few weights to check, all I'd need would be return postage.