Newbie to reloading...need a good kit.

American Revival Apparel Company

darthkevin

Hunter
Jan 5, 2016
Oregon
I saw a similar post on the forum but it didn't quite ask the question I am looking for so if I am in the wrong for reposting I apologize in advance but here it goes...

I'm really interested in reloading. I want to reload for multiple calibers for pistol and rifle. I want to know:

1) What's the best beginner reloading kit for around $200-$300 dollars. I'm looking more for an all in one style press so I can churn out more rounds for less time eventually. To start I am obviously going to do one at a time, but I think that a single stage press might waste my money as I will want to upgrade before too long. Durability is a main concern on this as I live in northern Oregon and metal rusts here like no one's business. Also space is a factor as I don't have a ton of room for hobbies.

2) Where us a good online source for powder, brass, bullets and primers.

3) What are some good resources for reloading recipies? I know to get more then one source so I can cross refrence. I would, if possible, like to have a more modern one for subsonic loads as I want to do some .308 subs for quiet shooting. And I would like to do some hollow point reloads for home defence/carry (can that even be done?) plus I'd like to create some high accuracy rounds for hunting/distance shooting.

Again I'm pretty new to reloading and I have a pretty good idea on the theory of reloading but exactly zero experience. So if my questions sound like I'm a big dummy, I apologize. I just want the best bang for my buck so to speak and something that is going to last because I know I will love the hobby and eventually would like to teach it to my son and hand him down my equipment when it comes time for me to check out of this world. Thanks a million guys, this place is an awesome resource. (Off topic) I found it from a guy named thehossusmc on YouTube. Check out his videos he does a lot of cool stuff.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
You can't get a good progressive press in your price range, though a turret style may be possible. You are going to want a a good single stage, especially if you ever plan on loading precision or hunting rounds. A Lee classic cast, RCBS rock chucker or Hornady are all good choices to start with.

If you want to crank out a high volume, bite the bullet and spend the money to get a Dillon 550 or 650, maybe a Hornady ammo plant.

You can load on the cheap or you can load quickly. Trying to do both at the same time will probably be really frustrating.

Reactions: darthkevin

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Buy a Lee reloading manual and a manual for whatever your preferred bullet manufacturer is. Many powder sites have a look up feature, but the manuals are good reference and have lots of info for beginners.

Recipes need to be tested in your rifle. .2 grains can be the difference between 1/2 moa and over 1 moa.

Waterguy

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
North Georgia
Zip code
I would start out with a single stage press, probably a Lee. You will always have a need for a single stage. I would most definitely first off get yourself a reloading manual and read it. Then go and watch a competent handloader to see how it works and you can ask questions you may have from what you have read and have saw them do. Everything in handloading is a process and a single stage will help you to learn those processes better IMO. I would make my own kit, because why the kits are good, they have stuff that you probably really don't need. That is another reason to visit the competent handloader to see what you really need based on what you will be loading for. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

darthkevin

Hunter
Jan 5, 2016
Oregon
Awesome thank you for the replies everyone. I really do appreciate it. I think I will just go with a single stage to start off with. The problem with watching a competent handloader is its my dad and he lives entirely too far away to go watch him reload and all the guys I shoot with just buy their ammo. I have been watching IV8888 and Hickok45 on YouTube and even if I cant ask questions directly they have really informative videos on the subject. But I'm going to start with a couple reloading manuals and go from there. No need to rush really. Now I'll probably eat those words lmao.

Grandpa1466

Scout
Aug 26, 2012
North Central Texas
I started with and still use the Lee Challenger Breech Lock press (single stage). You can find good deals on a whole kit that includes powder thrower, scale, trim tools, etc. Pretty much everything except the dies for whatever caliber you are loading. I have bought several sets of the breech lock rings that stay permanently on my dies for quick change. I like the single stage, because it lets me check every round individually at various stages, especially after powder charging.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
You can check out "Johny's Reloading Bench" YouTube channel for many, many informative videos on reloading. He has a multi-part series for beginners that is more informative than the few 'how to' classes I've attended. He uses a Redding turret press and discusses the advantage/disadvantage of each type vs. cost.