Had a squib round at the State match yesterday!

Howard Law
D

Denny4kids

One of my rounds went pop instead of Bang yesterday! I reloaded 400 rounds for the Idaho IDPA state match and one round didn't have any powder in it.
The bullet was stuck halfway down the barrel.
At the last target my weapon went pop and the safety officer and timer yelled stop! I think a couple of others on the squad yelled also. I was commanded to remove the magazine and clear the weapon. Then we used a squib rod to pound the bullet back towards the chamber. After 2 people saw the barrel was clear the range was declared safe.
If my weapon slide had cycled and I shot again a lot more would have been hurt beside my pride.
One Pro shooter in my squad talked with me just to make sure my head was strait and back in the game and others offered me a couple hundred rounds if I couldn't trust my ammo just so I could finish the match. I didn't know these guys and I also love this sport. Denny

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
What is your reloading process like, Denny?

I always have a batch of cases in a loading block when I'm charging powder. Once I'm done with the batch, I visually inspect the entire block full of cases to make sure that every case has the same powder level in it. I've found a mistake once in a rare while this way.

One reason that I don't use an automated machine that drops out a loaded round with each stroke of the handle is that with that method I could not verify the things that I can see/feel/check with my process steps. Yeah, it's slower to work the way I do but my results are extremely uniform and safe.

D

Denny4kids

Skip I fill a 50 round shell holder with prepared cases. I have a Hornady automatic powder dispenser, the digital scale type. I fill a case and move the funnel. Really slow with bullseye powder! I fill all 50 and set it over by the press. I then seat and crimp bullets while I fill another 50 rounds with powder. I think where I went wrong is when all my bullets were seated and crimped I was taking cases off the powder filling case block and I grabbed an empty case. I'm going to buy a regular powder dispenser and not wander away from my normal routine. Den

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Denny4kids said:
Skip I fill a 50 round shell holder with prepared cases. I have a Hornady automatic powder dispenser, the digital scale type. I fill a case and move the funnel. Really slow with bullseye powder! I fill all 50 and set it over by the press. I then seat and crimp bullets while I fill another 50 rounds with powder. I think where I went wrong is when all my bullets were seated and crimped I was taking cases off the powder filling case block and I grabbed an empty case. I'm going to buy a regular powder dispenser and not wander away from my normal routine. Den
I think the change I would make involves concentrating on one process at a time rather than doing two separate things at the same time.

If you're looking for a really accurate and easy-to-use powder measure for pistol cartridges (up to about 10 grains of powder per charge), I strongly recommend the Redding Competition 10X pistol & small rifle powder measure. It is extremely repeatable for small powder charges and is a dream to use if mounted on a stand above the bench. I use it on an RCBS powder measure stand.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I have had several people tell me that my Dillon can crank 500 per hour if I wanted to. But I don't want to go that fast. I had a squib at the range and it was the same thing. No powder. My bullet just got out of the shell and did not go far. It did not allow another round to be chambered, lucky for me. Anyone who reloads should learn to recognize a squib load and what to do if it occurs. I keep various sizes of oak dowel rods in my range box, just in case.

Was this your first squib or have you had others? I also don't listen to the radio, watch tv or anything else when I reload.

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
The best thing about this, Denny, is that people yelled stop, and you and the gun weren't hurt. Don't know what gun it was, but if the bullet stuck 'halfway down the barrel', I suspect there may have been at least a little powder in the case.

In any event, not matter the cause, as already said, glad you're alright!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Fred said:
The best thing about this, Denny, is that people yelled stop, and you and the gun weren't hurt. Don't know what gun it was, but if the bullet stuck 'halfway down the barrel', I suspect there may have been at least a little powder in the case.

In any event, not matter the cause, as already said, glad you're alright!
+1 for sure

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
Don't feel too bad! We often learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes. As soon as you believe you know all there is to know about reloading, you are in trouble. It is a constant learning experience and takes constant focus. Glad nothing too bad happened. Keep going and don't let this one incident spoil the fun.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Denny.....Thank goodness you didnt get hurt..... :-\

PS....Check your barrel and make sure it doesnt have a slight bulge in it.....
Sometimes barrels tend to do that on a squib load....

D

Denny4kids

I was doing everything wrong. Like watching TV, getting ahead of myself, I was tired, I set too high of a goal, and the list goes on.
Some things I learn the hard way. I heard it go pop and I also heard the word stop and I am happy about that. The squib was the first shot on a 2 to the body and 1 to the head target. When I first started IDPA the excitement might have led me to shoot through the warnings. Maybe.
I didn't like pounding the bullet out. I need to check my barrel and talk to my gunsmith. My weapon is a Springfield XDm 5.25 9mm shooting berry's 124 grain plated bullets at 1050fps. Denny