What is a pinned barrel?

Howard Law
R

rayzer007

Can someone tell me what a "pinned" barrel is? What other types of barrels are there? Advantages/disadvantages?
I see the term mentioned with S&W snubs. Thanks in advance!

Ray

M

mukwah

The pinned barrel was a sort of safety feature in early S&W models. If helped to keep the barrel secure
Sent from my DROID RAZR

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Just like Mukwah said the old S&W pinned and screwed in.
A lot of 22 and some low powered semi automatic barrels are pressed and pinned in.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
Refers to a method of securing the position of hand ejector barrels. It pinned them to the frame. Hand ejectors were often refered to as being pinned and recessed. They were introduced circa 1899 and continued up until 1982. I have several of the older model top breaks where the front sights were pinned to the barrel versus being forged as part of the barrel.

I'd rather have a crane and cylinder assembly lock directly into the frame at the rear of the cylinder and at the front of the crane. Ejector rods should be separate. I also don't like side plates that pop or screw off and prefer a solid frame body.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
See the pin in the barrel right before the cylinder.... ;)

IMG_8520.jpg

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Trigger_1 said:
See the pin in the barrel right before the cylinder.... ;)

IMG_8520.jpg

For those who might not be able to see it, the pin is just at the forward end of the top strap (at the top side of the breech end of the barrel).

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Both my S&W Model 10 4-inch and my Model 37 snub have pinned barrels. I have often heard of older S&W revolvers referred to as "pre-lock and pinned barrels" as a sign of a higher quality made revolvers from yesteryear. I don't know if that's true or not, but I can tell you that both my S&W revolvers are that way and also have actions that are very smooth. You can just feel the quality in these older Smiths. Colt Detective Special snubs, and their bigger Colt brothers, have that quality feel too.