• Wipe and sit

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Birdnest

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • eww, i'm to uppidy to use a public tiolet

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
More from the AR armorers bench.........Today is trouble shooting a RO727 Colt M4 Carbine that has stoppages, erratic failure to feed or failure to eject after the gun gets hot, mostly failure to feed.

Gun history....the carbine is 10 years old, has about 18k rounds through it (all Federal M193 5.56). The rate of fire has been almost exclusively semi auto, with an estimated less than 5% of rounds (< 750-900 rounds) fired in full auto over the course of 10 years.

The rifle is inspected annually for defects, internally focusing on extractor/extractor spring, ejector/ejector spring, bolt lugs/cam pin hole, firing pin condition/protrusion.

The recoil spring and extractor, extractor spring/elastomeric bumper/"O" ring was replaced at 10K rounds, part of a PMCS service schedule (replaced whether they need it or not). The complete upper will be replaced at 20K.

Quick visual inspection......gas tube at the carrier key end is trash! The flange is completely worn smooth.
View attachment 81816

The carrier key was still secure and the gas tube/front sight base transition was fine, so no gas leaks there. Replaced the gas tube, checked tube/barrel nut alignment (good to go). Probably a good idea at this point to replace the gas key too, so went ahead and knocked that. Ground the staking down, removed the bolts ,replaced the key. If the key is staked properly you will break the Allen wrench or strip the bolt head if you don't grind the staking first.
View attachment 81818
View attachment 81819
View attachment 81820

New key (left) vs old key (right)......no erosion at the rear key gas port/bolt body interface, that's 100% normal, never seen it erode there.
View attachment 81821

New key (right) vs old key (left)...hard to see in the pic but there is visible erosion into the mouth of the old key. it's probably still serviceable, but might as well shit can it anyway.
View attachment 81823
Test fired this morning....210 rounds, first 3 mags on full auto as fast as I could dump the mags to get the it HOT. Then semi auto for the last 120 rounds firing about 1 round a second. Worked fine, no issues.

Two interesting things. First the rear bolt carrier key bolt hole was drilled a little too deep and actually perforated through to the bolt interior channel. It's a complete non issue because that's the bold tail section of the carrier, aft of the gas chamber. Here's a pic with a light aimed through the channel. You can see the hole clearly.
View attachment 81824

Second, the bolt carrier is actually a Colt Canada (Diemaco) production part. Where the "C" is usually stamped there is a "Stylized D". The rifle came straight from Colt/Harford to here and there is nothing else upper/lower receiver or parts wise that has any Diemaco markings. Anyway, I just thought t was interesting to find the Colt Canada part.
View attachment 81826
View attachment 81827
I bet @Leadhoof would love to get that BCG for his C7a2 build

2Glocks

Off base and off line
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Aug 30, 2019
Your Mother’s House
Zip code
I spent the night doing laundry like the good little housewife I am. My wife is in bed and driving to Louisiana Tomorrow so it’s just me, 80 something chickens, 8 dogs, 2 cats, 2 pigs, a bunny, and all my gats this weekend. Got some buys and trades going to keep me out of trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
62c253b93f4752f7fda014ecbc9204fd.jpg

Staring at them, eager to go shoot for the first time in a couple months. I made my own paki-tape for subs

If y’all see a deal on an aimpoint pro or eotech, etc lemme know. Got some money in PP from selling an iPhone and i need an optic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabbit2047

NOT Joe Exotic, Ted Nugent, or Joe Dirt
Kalash Klub
Jan 3, 2020
Statham, GA

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd