Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 27, 2019
Macon ,GA.

CQB27

Kalash Klub Jumpmaster
Oct 14, 2019
Rome
I have a question for the resident Russian.....Hey @Jeddak what's up with the tick mark on the front of the front sight drum relative to the same mark on the front of the front sight base? I'm talking about this......

IMG_2237.JPG

That is the front of the SAR-1 I picked up about two weeks ago. When I got it the front sight base was canted. I knocked out the front sight pins and straightened it up then re-pinned it. I wish I had noticed the position of the tick marks before I did that and zeroed the rifle, because I drifted the front sight right to zero. That makes me think the tick marks were aligned prior to straightening the front sight base.

Are Communist AKs roughly zeroed at the factory then the tick mark struck on the front sight drum as a reference?

Last edited:

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Not in stock.

In stock. Lacquer sealed. No tax. Free shipping.

You're welcome.

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
I still want your opinion @Jds556762 , I do value it seeing as how experienced you are.

I already know @Rabbit2047 opinion
I feel very comfortable shooting 62gr green tip at anything/everything. Feel like I kind of know what to expect in regards to reaction on target or ballistics at range, or penetration on vehicles/deflection so I vote 5.56

I believe the 5.45 outperforms the 5.56 in regards to hitting some soft tissue at farther distances. Like 400m but that’s comparing m855 to 7n6 you gotta consider the fact that the 5.56 has many more commercial loads available I.E. 77OTM or even 855A1 or rounds specifically designed for self-defense etc. the market has more options so thinking that a 5.45 does better at 600m than a 5.56 not so sure when one has the ability to buy a specific load.

green tip vs 5.45 surplus? Within 200m green tip will cause more damage, around 4-600 5.45 will be “more accurate” and transfer a wee bit more energy at longer range.

5.56 reigns supreme via performance at those majority-of-contact distances of sub 200/150m engagements, it’s availability and potential for commercial/custom loads, the availability of weapons chambered in that round locally, experience of shooter with cartridge etc.

when it gets down to it though 5.56 and 5.45 are like I dunno 90% similar performance with your differences happening at distances you may not even be considering

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
I have a question for the resident Russian.....Hey @Jeddak what's up with the tick mark on the front of the front sight drum relative to the same mark on the front of the front sight base? I talking about this......

View attachment 70557

That is the front of the SAR-1 I picked up about two weeks ago. When I got it the front sight base was canted. I knocked out the front sight pins and straightened it up then re-pinned it. I wish I had noticed the position of the tick marks before I did that and zeroed the rifle, because I drifted the front sight right to zero. That makes me think the tick marks were aligned prior to straightening the front sight base.

Are Communist AKs roughly zeroed at the factory then the tick mark struck on the front sight drum as a reference?
Yes. Boresighted at the factory and then marked.
I have never heard of FSB being straightened outside of the factory. Rifles were kept in the armory and, in the 2nd line divisions (most of my experience), were not assigned to individual soldiers. There had to be a way to go back to a factory Zero when rifle was re-issued to someone else.
POSP scopes are done the same way. They have resettable turrets, so after zeroing your rifle you can make the new setting a new Zero on the turret.. Marks help to go back to factory zero.

Bigigloopt2

Meme boojahideen
Kalash Klub
Oct 31, 2019
Earth
I feel very comfortable shooting 62gr green tip at anything/everything. Feel like I kind of know what to expect in regards to reaction on target or ballistics at range, or penetration on vehicles/deflection so I vote 5.56

I believe the 5.45 outperforms the 5.56 in regards to hitting some soft tissue at farther distances. Like 400m but that’s comparing m855 to 7n6 you gotta consider the fact that the 5.56 has many more commercial loads available I.E. 77OTM or even 855A1 or rounds specifically designed for self-defense etc. the market has more options so thinking that a 5.45 does better at 600m than a 5.56 not so sure when one has the ability to buy a specific load.

green tip vs 5.45 surplus? Within 200m green tip will cause more damage, around 4-600 5.45 will be “more accurate” and transfer a wee bit more energy at longer range.

5.56 reigns supreme via performance at those majority-of-contact distances of sub 200/150m engagements, it’s availability and potential for commercial/custom loads, the availability of weapons chambered in that round locally, experience of shooter with cartridge etc.

when it gets down to it though 5.56 and 5.45 are like I dunno 90% similar performance with your differences happening at distances you may not even be considering

you’re like the ballistic Dewey decimal

slapshut

MAG WHORE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 27, 2019
Macon ,GA.
I have a question for the resident Russian.....Hey @Jeddak what's up with the tick mark on the front of the front sight drum relative to the same mark on the front of the front sight base? I talking about this......

View attachment 70557

I believe that is more of a stake mark to help keep the drum tight in the sight tower, rather than a zero stake. I have seen plenty and this stake was aligned, but the rifle was not zeroed.

CQB27

Kalash Klub Jumpmaster
Oct 14, 2019
Rome

Despite the "poison bullet" hype, the 5.45 and 5.56 are so close to identical when it comes to wounding/killing at 300 meters and in that you couldn't plug an ant's ass with the difference. Great write up.....probably should be made permanent for others to reference in the future.

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
Despite the "poison bullet" hype, the 5.45 and 5.56 are so close to identical when it comes to wounding/killing at 300 meters and in that you couldn't plug an ant's ass with the difference. Great write up.....probably should be made permanent for others to reference in the future.

New thread?