Opinions on the S&W 360PD...

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Tarheel

Hunter
A friend has run into some hard times and is selling a few of his guns. He's offered me the 360PD chambered for .357/.38spl for a decent price. However, I am struggling with the thought of shooting a small 11.4oz revolver with a .357 load. I noted that mukwah has a LCR in .357 I believe. It runs at about 17oz, so a little more heft. My Taurus UltraLite 85 (.38 spl) is a handfull with a +P load and is about the same size and weight as the LCR. Anyone have any experience with the 360PD?

Also, mukwah, what's your experience and thoughts with the LCR when shooting .357...gotta ring your chimes.

Thx.

Tarheel

M

mukwah

Well, I'm kinda funny about recoil, I like it! That being said, on my LCR the Hogue Tamer grips do an awful lot to absorb any shocking recoil with the .357. I was really surprised at how little recoil the LCR has with any round, and it may sound funny but I think the poly frame has a lot to do with it! If I'm not mistaken the 360PD has a poly frame also but not sure about the grips, if so I think you will be surprised and pleased! Hope this helps you Tarheel!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mukwah said:
Well, I'm kinda funny about recoil, I like it!
For a fun gun, I feel the same. However, for a "serious" gun (for combat) I want to be able to recover and deliver another round as quickly as possible. So, I wouldn't carry a .44 mag or anything like that for defensive use.

Tarheel

Hunter
...thx, guys. I'm not too big on large calibers either. I have a Model 19 in .357, but it's way to heavy (40oz loaded) to tote around, but shoots quite nicely. My PPS in .40 will make you grit your teeth at times...just takes adjusting to keep the shoulder somewhat loose to absorb the punch, rather than the wrist. Never owned any handgun in a higher caliber than the .40. I believe I'll pass on the 360. It's a nice piece, but would be somewhat repetitious, given the 85 is available and a +P in that revolver is a heafty sidekick, to say the least.

Hank

R

rayzer007

Tarheel said:
However, I am struggling with the thought of shooting a small 11.4oz revolver with a .357 load.

I do not have any personal experience Hank, but I do read a great deal, and everything I have read says the Scandium frame is way too light for .357 loads. I think that's why they are always for sale on GunBroker; people buy them and after firing a cylinder (or less) of .357's, the gun is put up for sale. That load was not designed for ultralight, snub frames. My 2 cents.

Ray

Tarheel

Hunter
..that pretty well seals the decision, Ray. Thx. I strongly suspect that the .357 and .38+P are very close in velocity and energy out of a -2" barrel revolver, albeit I haven't seen a comparison chronograph on the two. Bullet mass would probably be the only true advantage. These ole hands don't need any more shock treatment :D.

Hank

R

rayzer007

Tarheel said:
..that pretty well seals the decision, Ray. Thx. I strongly suspect that the .357 and .38+P are very close in velocity and energy out of a -2" barrel revolver, albeit I haven't seen a comparison chronograph on the two. Bullet mass would probably be the only true advantage. These ole hands don't need any more shock treatment :D.

The consensus is the .357 round produces a lot of wasted energy/flash (and noise) in snubs; not much true (actual) power difference over .38+P. That magnum load maximizes efficiency in 4"(+) barrels. Mas Ayoob mentions this several times in his articles. I really don't think you'd like it in a Scandium frame snub Hank. Most experts feel the Gold Dot .38 +P 124gr. Short Barrel will do the trick without all the unnecessary excess. The old 158gr. LSWCHP works sufficiently well also. Both are well proven rounds on the street.

Ray

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
I don't care what caliber round you're thinking about, in an 11 ounce snubbie it WILL hurt. I've shot a S&W snubbie with just .38sp's, and I hated it. For fun, get something bigger. For self defense, it would work, but then you won't like practicing with it. Good luck Hank, I think you could do much better! Just my $.03 worth (inflation)! Yogi :eek:

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
I went over this dilemma for a couple of weeks before I bought my 38 s +P. Pretty glad I stuck with this cartridge. I shot it last week, and really had very little trouble with it . I am pretty happy with the way the hogue grip soaks up the snap. I'm going tomorrow , and will shoot 100 rounds through. I'll post up how it goes with that many rounds.