Marlin 336, change of plans!

Howard Law
M

mukwah

OK, I know this is gonna shock some folks here but I've had a major change of plans on my Marlin 336 Project Gun. Some of you might have seen this coming from some of my later projects but believe me I didn't!!
After being informed by my smithy that I had another month to month and a half before my barrel and receiver would be blued I told myself, self, why not do this yourself in Duracoat? Why not? I've had three etreamly successful projects in a row now, I think I'm ready for the Marlin!!
Don't get me wrong, I love blued steel against a nice wood stock as much as the next guy, but. I'm not planning on selling this rifle or use it much other than an occasional hog or deer hunt and some shooting with my grandson. And since it's gonna be his someday his vote is in as a yes also!
So, tonight is being spent final sanding, degreasing and getting ready for a matte black DuraCoat paint job tomorrow! Besides, it'll be another scratch proof, chip proof, rust proof finished firearm in the safe!!
(Also I was getting really antsy for another project finish) ;)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I've never seen or dealt with Duracoat. How does it work? Does it combine with the steel or is it simply a fancy sort of paint?

Can a Duracoat finish be scraped off with normal handling of what it's applied to? In other words, if you Duracoated a rifle bolt would the coating be scraped off by the normal operation of the bolt?

M

mukwah

SkipD said:
I've never seen or dealt with Duracoat. How does it work? Does it combine with the steel or is it simply a fancy sort of paint?

Can a Duracoat finish be scraped off with normal handling of what it's applied to? In other words, if you Duracoated a rifle bolt would the coating be scraped off by the normal operation of the bolt?
Skip, I think it somehow fuses with the metal suface, the rougher the surface the better (sanded). When properly cured I've never heard or seen where it has been scraped off. I would not use it on a rifle bolt or any other firearm part with close tolerances as it does add some thickness to the surface.

M

mukwah

Re: Re: Marlin 336, change of plans!

hoppy said:
Oh No! Another EBR.
LOL, Yeah and I think I'm gonna throw on some tactical rails and a fore end vertical grip!!! Not! LOL

M

mukwah

Well,here she is! All that's left is a little touch up work and then off to the safe to cure! ;D
0119132020.jpg
0119132024.jpg
0119132025.jpg

M

mukwah

The complete cure time is three-four weeks. Now is when the "patience" part comes in! It's kinda hard to see but I trimmed the grip and butt stock spacers in 24k gold paint.

M

mukwah

Re: Re: Marlin 336, change of plans!

RICHGCOOP said:
Looking good. Another job well done.
I'm waiting to see your next project.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk
Got a list of unfinished projects to wrap up plus safe organizing and biyearly cleaning and wipe down of all firearms.