How to get started in 3 gun (Rifle or Pistol)

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So I want to shoot more often but not necessarily just inside hitting paper. That got old pretty quick. I was thinking about 3 gun, specifically the rifle open division. Has anyone here ever competed? Was it worth it? Was it fun?

Also I read like the entire website and it says you pic rifle, shotgun or pistol, but the name would suggest possibly something different. Also when I watch youtube videos of 3 gun, they are actually shooting the three different types of guns in the same round... Can someone clarify? Do I need all three guns?

It appears the closest range to me that does 3 gun is in Tennessee. Anyone been up to this range? What did you think?

Tennessee 3 Gun

Cleveland Hunting, Rifle, and Pistol Club
2522 Leadmine Valley Road SW
Cleveland, Tennessee 37311
GPS: 35.061412, -84.935281

3 Gun Match Director
Mr. Thom Hazlett
email: thazlett@surfsouth.com
http://www.chrpc.com/index.html

This is a different range (JCSA Sports Park), but a cool POV video I found of 3 gun.

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Aug 14, 2015
CANTON, GA
Zip code
River bend gun club does 3 gun and action pistol matches. I went up there to meet the guy who runs the team "veteran 3 gun" and check out the whole shooting competition scene and see if it was something I wanted to pursue. It was awesome! I'm hoping to shoot in the action pistol match this month. Entry fees are like $20. I just need a new holster for the Xdm I just got.....

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I did a 3 gun awhile back here in Ga, but I can't remember the name of the gun club, it was way up I85 or 985.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
River bend gun club does 3 gun and action pistol matches. I went up there to meet the guy who runs the team "veteran 3 gun" and check out the whole shooting competition scene and see if it was something I wanted to pursue. It was awesome! I'm hoping to shoot in the action pistol match this month. Entry fees are like $20. I just need a new holster for the Xdm I just got.....
Bring it by and I can hook you up.

Hmm, that one is even closer at only 55 minutes from my place. I was looking at the 3-gun.com website and they didnt have that one listed.

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
What did you think of it?

It was okay, there were a lot of people shooting, I had a pretty good time & I was by myself, it was a spur of the moment thing. The directions I pulled off line sucked though, I barely found the place.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
It was okay, there were a lot of people shooting, I had a pretty good time & I was by myself, it was a spur of the moment thing. The directions I pulled off line sucked though, I barely found the place.
Hmmm, the videos make it seem like only one person is shooting at once.

KGmade

Frontiersman
Apr 14, 2016
Marietta, Ga
kgmade.net
Zip code
I shot in Atlanta 3 gun for a little while. It is really fun and a good challenge. You need a rifle, pistol, and shotgun. If you sign up for open, it doesnt really matter what you run, as most anything goes in that class. I shot "tactical irons" but I think they have renamed all their classes since then. Basically, you had to have a 223 or larger rifle with iron sights or a non magnified red dot, a pistol with no ports or optics, and a 12 gauge shotgun with no optics and a standard tube magazine. The optics division is pretty much the same rules, but allows magnified optics on the rifles.

They also have pistol caliber carbine divisions now which look like a ton of fun

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I shot in Atlanta 3 gun for a little while. It is really fun and a good challenge. You need a rifle, pistol, and shotgun. If you sign up for open, it doesnt really matter what you run, as most anything goes in that class. I shot "tactical irons" but I think they have renamed all their classes since then. Basically, you had to have a 223 or larger rifle with iron sights or a non magnified red dot, a pistol with no ports or optics, and a 12 gauge shotgun with no optics and a standard tube magazine. The optics division is pretty much the same rules, but allows magnified optics on the rifles.

They also have pistol caliber carbine divisions now which look like a ton of fun
Hmmm what I was reading made it sound like the open division was just whatever goes. I would like to run one that I can use my rmr on my pistol. And I dont own a shot gun...

Reactions: KGmade

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I believe the "one way up 85" mentioned earlier is tactical guns and gear, in lavonia. Pretty close to state line.

KGmade

Frontiersman
Apr 14, 2016
Marietta, Ga
kgmade.net
Zip code
Hmmm what I was reading made it sound like the open division was just whatever goes. I would like to run one that I can use my rmr on my pistol. And I dont own a shot gun...
You are right. Open is run what you brung. An RMR on a pistol would put you in open. You can run a saiga shotgun in open too, if you have one.

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I believe the "one way up 85" mentioned earlier is tactical guns and gear, in lavonia. Pretty close to state line.

That sounds about right... The range was odd, sections were huge dug out trench's and a rifle section about 100 yards, with two rows of man size steel targets, one row slightly above the other...