Mac11FA

Petrolsexual
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Another "woopsie"... Walmart sues Tesla's energy company for negligence in the installation of solar panels on their store's roofs... Seven fires have occurred per the article-

Wait ! Whut!!!! First his cars catch on fire and now the solar panels??!?!?!?! Good on WalMart for stepping up and suing that MFer!

And imagine that! It comes back to product and installation quality!

In reading the article, Musk made so many changes after buying the company that is has struggled to stay soluble to date. I am sure he would be okay with a loss north of 2 billion plus.

• Wow
Reactions: dial1911 and Grunk

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
Wait ! Whut!!!! First his cars catch on fire and now the solar panels??!?!?!?! Good on WalMart for stepping up and suing that MFer!

And imagine that! It comes back to product and installation quality!

In reading the article, Musk made so many changes after buying the company that is has struggled to stay soluble to date. I am sure he would be okay with a loss north of 2 billion plus.
Yeah, I think he got lucky with Amazon from that link I posted. That warehouse fire was in June 2018 & it sounds like Amazon just decided not to buy anymore but didn't sue. It feels like Musk is just doing too much (cars, solar panels, drilling, SpaceX) to really get one thing ironed out. At least to me.

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
If it's all true, this is an interesting article:

It's a long article, but goes into details about the state of NY's $750 million tax payer funded payout to the company to build the facilities and how SolarCity has hurt Tesla since it was acquired.

I don't think Musk can plan for crap, but he is clearly one of the best ever at getting someone else to pay for his dreams. At that, I'm honestly amazed... either his talent for selling ideas or everyone else's stupidity for paying for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grunk

Mac11FA

Petrolsexual
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code

It's a long article, but goes into details about the state of NY's $750 million tax payer funded payout to the company to build the facilities and how SolarCity has hurt Tesla since it was acquired.

I don't think Musk can plan for crap, but he is clearly one of the best ever at getting someone else to pay for his dreams. At that, I'm honestly amazed... either his talent for selling ideas or everyone else's stupidity for paying for them.
Can't imagine it being made up. City of NY doesn't want to do anything to give Cuomo a bad rap for his part in the sham.

Reactions: dial1911

Grunk

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code

Thanks for posting this. A lot of stuff in that article. Observations in no particular order:

Residents of NY got screwed but I don't think anybody can blame Musk for that. Governments shouldn't give tax breaks, much less money, to companies without actual, measurable goals & consequences if the company doesn't meet them. And no decades long timelines to meet goals.

This article (& several others) refer to Musk having a reputation as a manufacturing wizard. Why? From where? He founded Zip2 ( a company that did online city guides for newspapers) with his brother, sold it & started some financial transactions company that merged with Peter Thiel's company to become Paypal & got megarich when EBAY bought Paypal. Bought his way into Tesla as the majority shareholder. I don't think Tesla's manufacturing is anything to brag about. In fact, I think any of the major car companies on the planet could greatly improve it. So I don't get why Musk has this rep.

A lot of people, it seems (including Gov. Cuomo), get hooked on Musk's pronouncements in some kind of cult of personality fashion & therefore don't think normal evaluation criteria apply. I mean, Tesla has obviously got a product a lot of people want & have been willing to buy (at least with gov't. tax subsidizing) but they haven't yet shown they can be profitable off of that product.

All of Musk's operations seem like smoke & mirrors to me. I'm sure I don't understand the financing & a lot of other things but if it is so complicated he can't explain it, why risk tax money on it?

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Thanks for posting this. A lot of stuff in that article. Observations in no particular order:

Residents of NY got screwed but I don't think anybody can blame Musk for that. Governments shouldn't give tax breaks, much less money, to companies without actual, measurable goals & consequences if the company doesn't meet them. And no decades long timelines to meet goals.

This article (& several others) refer to Musk having a reputation as a manufacturing wizard. Why? From where? He founded Zip2 ( a company that did online city guides for newspapers) with his brother, sold it & started some financial transactions company that merged with Peter Thiel's company to become Paypal & got megarich when EBAY bought Paypal. Bought his way into Tesla as the majority shareholder. I don't think Tesla's manufacturing is anything to brag about. In fact, I think any of the major car companies on the planet could greatly improve it. So I don't get why Musk has this rep.

A lot of people, it seems (including Gov. Cuomo), get hooked on Musk's pronouncements in some kind of cult of personality fashion & therefore don't think normal evaluation criteria apply. I mean, Tesla has obviously got a product a lot of people want & have been willing to buy (at least with gov't. tax subsidizing) but they haven't yet shown they can be profitable off of that product.

All of Musk's operations seem like smoke & mirrors to me. I'm sure I don't understand the financing & a lot of other things but if it is so complicated he can't explain it, why risk tax money on it?
I think you and @Jcountry said it best... it's a cult mentality.

I wish I was that good at talking people out of their money.

Reactions: Grunk

Mac11FA

Petrolsexual
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code

Grunk

Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
I doubt this is a problem unique to Tesla & the article points out that Model S owners can solve the problem by creating a PIN that they enter each time to "solve" the problem. But this drip, drip, drip of problems at Musk's companies can't be good for raising money since none of them are actually making money.