Mac11FA

Petrolsexual
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I'm not sure the existence of Tesla & SpaceX are game changing yet. If Tesla succeeds in establishing electric cars as mainstream, that will be. Right now, with all the hype & gov't subsidies, they've still sold fewer electric vehicles than Nissan (whose cutting a ton of jobs because of lack of profit) & not making a profit. SpaceX has turned a profit either. The game changing companies, in my opinion, will be the ones that actually bring this stuff into everyday people's lives on a mainstream scale. To me it's the difference between modern cell phones & the niche "radiophones in rich people's cars early on.
View attachment 52912

As I've said before, I hope Tesla succeeds, but I don't have much faith in Musk's ability to run a manufacturing operation. And, I think, that's what it takes to mainstream electric vehicles.
Actually, it is the people he has hired to run his manufacturing operation. That and his inability to stop micromanaging.

Reactions: Grunk

Jcountry

Tracker
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Hyperloop is another idea which looks awesome on a drawing board, but it’s 100% impossible to implement in real life.

For instance: How do you maintain that vacuum in the real world?
-terrorists?
-earthquakes?

Reactions: Grunk

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
Hyperloop is another idea which looks awesome on a drawing board, but it’s 100% impossible to implement in real life.

For instance: How do you maintain that vacuum in the real world?
-terrorists?
-earthquakes?
The power required to maintain the vacuum is going to exceed any savings you'd see in rapid transit. It's always going to leak, you just have to have enough pumping power running near constantly to maintain the low pressure.

Reactions: Jcountry and Grunk

Grunk

Hard to be an Outlaw that ain't Wanted anymore
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
Monroe
Zip code
The power required to maintain the vacuum is going to exceed any savings you'd see in rapid transit. It's always going to leak, you just have to have enough pumping power running near constantly to maintain the low pressure.
You engineers always screw things up for the dreamers! :behindsofa:

Reactions: dial1911 and 1776

Semi-Pro

Tracker
May 17, 2015
Smalltown, GA
I can see his angle on it though, there are some products that do better when they are introduced in a niche market; after seeing what the upper echelon finds appealing, it's then integrated into the more affordable models ... I see it as a testing ground of sorts as they gauge consumer interests.... and who knows, eventually you may be able to buy a $30K Tesla with Ludicrous mode
Was that a spaceballs reference?

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
I'm not sure the existence of Tesla & SpaceX are game changing yet. If Tesla succeeds in establishing electric cars as mainstream, that will be. Right now, with all the hype & gov't subsidies, they've still sold fewer electric vehicles than Nissan (whose cutting a ton of jobs because of lack of profit) & not making a profit. SpaceX has turned a profit either. The game changing companies, in my opinion, will be the ones that actually bring this stuff into everyday people's lives on a mainstream scale. To me it's the difference between modern cell phones & the niche "radiophones in rich people's cars early on.
View attachment 52912

As I've said before, I hope Tesla succeeds, but I don't have much faith in Musk's ability to run a manufacturing operation. And, I think, that's what it takes to mainstream electric vehicles.
I'm only trying to remind people that Musk is a guy with physics degree who created a successful online bank (which became paypal), made electric cars both desirable and viable, took up the challenge of civilian commercial space flight, all with a significant measure of success, and all in areas where no one else had similar success in the past. That he put these things in the forefront of culture is game changing, even if others standing on his shoulders pull these things across the finish line in the future. Yes, I'd prefer that Tesla didnt need government support, but I think it was necessary given the industry animosity toward the future of electric vehicles. Also the fact that almost all of the US car manufacturers have bailed out by the government at some point in history takes the wind from those sails. In a wordy way I guess I'm saying - he's flawed, but he's still a flawed genius. He's a guy that should be fed resources and unleashed.

Reactions: dial1911 and Grunk

dial1911

Mouse hunter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Hades
Zip code
I'm only trying to remind people that Musk is a guy with physics degree who created a successful online bank (which became paypal), made electric cars both desirable and viable, took up the challenge of civilian commercial space flight, all with a significant measure of success, and all in areas where no one else had similar success in the past. That he put these things in the forefront of culture is game changing, even if others standing on his shoulders pull these things across the finish line in the future. Yes, I'd prefer that Tesla didnt need government support, but I think it was necessary given the industry animosity toward the future of electric vehicles. Also the fact that almost all of the US car manufacturers have bailed out by the government at some point in history takes the wind from those sails. In a wordy way I guess I'm saying - he's flawed, but he's still a flawed genius. He's a guy that should be fed resources and unleashed.
I do not disagree with anything you said. However, Mr. Musk does not appear to be the best choice to run a company. I darn sure don't know the guy, just what I see reported (by the biased) media. And his company fired poor @Mac11FA so there's that :)

Reactions: Grunk and 1776