Mac11FA

Facilitator
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Routinely pumped ours up 100 pumps and stood vertically with a penny on the end of the barrel. Put that BB right through every time. Made the coolest noise when the penny went spinnin away.

Reactions: dial1911

Squirrelpizza

Hunter
Jul 29, 2019
Crossville, Tennessee
I can't go too much deeper than a 10/22 and a MK II... I'm not sure if I need any more .22s.
Need has nothing to do with it. Ruger Mk ii's are lovely. I picked up a government target model almost two weeks ago and I lofe it! But don't settle. The wide world is full of High Standard Supermatic and Duramatic Citations. Then the variants. GE model, 101 series... then there's the S&W K-17 masterpiece, the model 41 Smith, yada yada. You don't know what's best for you till you shoot them all.
My favorite is the Winchester 52. Many variants. I turned my CZ loving buddy on to them now he owns more of my rifles than I do! I guess my point is if you find a gun you love, keep it. If after you run a bunch of different ammo through it and go "yeh it's ok" get rid of it and get the next thing on your bucket list. If your pockets are deep keep all of them. I don't have pockets. I'm not bragging but my 90 year old Win 52 can routinely hit flys that land on the target paper at 50 yds. That's a keeper. A benchmark everything else must meet. Life is so very short. Pay your bills. Buy toys.53148531495315053151

Squirrelpizza

Hunter
Jul 29, 2019
Crossville, Tennessee
Maybe part of my problem is I'm easily bored and shun convention. Shooting Nicole sized groups at 100yds with a .22lr gets boring. So I shoot at the staples holding the paper. (I hate when I hit the staple but that one point is still holding! Then the paper falls over and you don't have a shot).
Don't skimp on ammo. My favorite is Federal UM 22 ultra match. But at around $24 a box of 50 I must be frugal. CCI SV and Federal Auto match are my everyday shooters. But it's like buying a motorcycle helmet. If ya got a $20 head buy a $20 helmet. If you invest $2-3 grand in a rifle don't shoot Winchester super x. At least try SK standard plus.
Imho.5315253153

Liberty

Enbloc Emptier
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I love old .22's almost as much as milsurps, but my Savage A22 is set up like my hunting rifles and gets shot the most. An adult size .22 with a decent scope is the best practice for practical riflemanship to be found. I shot back to back rifleman scores with mine at an Appleseed last summer. Shoot a 1 inch group at 25 yards consistently without any support except your sling, and there won't be a deer in Georgia safe from your 30-06. I traded into a 10-22 from @Red Dawn a few years ago and put apeture sights on it to keep my Garand skills sharp and for walking around the place. It does a great job for both.

Reactions: Red Dawn and Grunk

Squirrelpizza

Hunter
Jul 29, 2019
Crossville, Tennessee
I love old .22's almost as much as milsurps, but my Savage A22 is set up like my hunting rifles and gets shot the most. An adult size .22 with a decent scope is the best practice for practical riflemanship to be found. I shot back to back rifleman scores with mine at an Appleseed last summer. Shoot a 1 inch group at 25 yards consistently without any support except your sling, and there won't be a deer in Georgia safe from your 30-06. I traded into a 10-22 from @Red Dawn a few years ago and put apeture sights on it to keep my Garand skills sharp and for walking around the place. It does a great job for both.
Even with the plethora of Winchester 52's he's got, which was intended to be a training rifle for the army, he swears by his Springfield 1922 a-1. Basically it's an 03 Springfield in .22lr. The Winchester cost so much to produce it made it unfesable as a service rifle. I too love open sights, and the Garand. But I shoot my Garand to keep me tuned in for rimfire.53155

Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
Maybe part of my problem is I'm easily bored and shun convention. Shooting Nicole sized groups at 100yds with a .22lr gets boring. So I shoot at the staples holding the paper. (I hate when I hit the staple but that one point is still holding! Then the paper falls over and you don't have a shot).
Don't skimp on ammo. My favorite is Federal UM 22 ultra match. But at around $24 a box of 50 I must be frugal. CCI SV and Federal Auto match are my everyday shooters. But it's like buying a motorcycle helmet. If ya got a $20 head buy a $20 helmet. If you invest $2-3 grand in a rifle don't shoot Winchester super x. At least try SK standard plus.
Imho.View attachment 53152View attachment 53153
If you like Federal UM, then R50 should run well for you as well