Speer Boat Tail Bullets

American Revival Apparel Company

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I was given a box of old 160 grain Speer Boat Tails and loaded them up with Magpro. A good group was the result with a zero within 3/4 of an inch of my Bergers. I though the result to be interesting and bought a couple boxes of 165's for a 30-06. I got another group less than an inch using a near max load of IMR 4064 and set zero. I don't recall ever bechresting Speer bullets before in a long action though I may have. Has anyone ever shot live game with a Speer cup and core bullet? Weight retention about 60% would be perfect for stopping them fast. I may give them a try this year. With election year coming up deep stacking is in order, and the Speer bullets are relatively inexpensive.

Reactions: dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Don't know about the boat tails in particular, but I had a Rem 700 ADL in .30-06 (bought on clearance at Walmart) that loved Speer Spitzer bullets. I think about 150 grain, soft point.

Darn things shot under an inch at 100 yards. Also using IMR 4064 if I'm remembering right. Given the way I usually load, I would have taken the middle powder weight out of the Speer reloading manual.

Dad was amazed seeing that gun shoot.

Reactions: Liberty