Econ Sears is 'set to sink'

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Sears' business model was great before the internet, I pass by the giant ass old sear building on Ponce all the time. I think they would have been better off splitting into a tool store and a separate appliance store.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
This pisses me off because of all the Craftsman tools I own. After seeing the warranty more or less go to hell (Not guaranteed forever anymore, just for life which has a technical meaning of 7 years).

They can't die fast enough for me at this point.

One of the big boxes will buy the name and continue the line. Craftsman aint going anywhere.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
One of the big boxes will buy the name and continue the line. Craftsman aint going anywhere.

I agree with that for sure- but they've already cheapened the warranty (and brand)... I'll be shopping for Matco or MAC or (insert name cheaper than Snap On) in the future I guess. Sioux and Greenlee are great too, depending on the tool.

Reactions: karlvv

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Shouldn't have quit selling guns and ammo!

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I agree with that for sure- but they've already cheapened the warranty (and brand)... I'll be shopping for Matco or MAC or (insert name cheaper than Snap On) in the future I guess. Sioux and Greenlee are great too, depending on the tool.

Home Depot and Lowe's brand tools (Husky and Kobalt) carry the lifetime warranty with literally thousands of more stores to warranty the tool. I haven't bought craftsman in years.

Honestly in the last 10 years or so, craftsman has become cheap Chinese junk.

Reactions: Snewt1 and dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Home Depot and Lowe's brand tools (Husky and Kobalt) carry the lifetime warranty with literally thousands of more stores to warranty the tool. I haven't bought craftsman in years.

I agree. I finally wore the gear out a 3/8" drive Craftsman ratchet. It was from a set that I got as a gift when I was about 16 and started driving. The replacement wore out in a year or two. So did the one after that.

I quit buying Craftsman hand tools years ago. But gosh dammit I have a lot of them. That's easily the majority of what I own right now. If they saw more use, I'm sure I'd be wearing them out really often.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Sears has set some kind of record for circling the drain. That's been happening for most of my life.

About 8 years ago my father in law bought me a big craftsman socket set. I ripped open and unpacked all the plastic bags and placed the sockets in the case only to find that there were two 15mm sockets and no 16mm. I walked up to customer service with the two shiny 15mm sockets on my fingers, held them up and told her what happened. She looked me dead in the face and said "no it didn't". I haven't set foot in a sears since.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code

I agree to an extent, the tool trucks charge handsomely for the convenience of mobility and easy financing. However they do make a product in the states and the quality is not comparable to the box store stuff. That said you can replace your box store stuff every few years and probably not spend as much as you would on the truck.

DoglegArms

Silencer Dealer of 2015, 2016, 2017
Jul 12, 2015
Dallas, GA
www.doglegarms.com
Zip code

Is Husky or Kobalt any good?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I agree to an extent, the tool trucks charge handsomely for the convenience of mobility and easy financing. However they do make a product in the states and the quality is not comparable to the box store stuff. That said you can replace your box store stuff every few years and probably not spend as much as you would on the truck.

My tools are all klein, fluke , and xcelite. The stuff I use for work isn't made by Cobalt, Husky, Craftsman , snapon, matco, etc.

I do have a set of Matco wrenches here though that my dad bought after high school and a Husky socket set that is at least 15 years old . .