Project Cars - post your progress

Jake

All gun laws are an infringement!
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Southern Gwinnett/Northern Rockdale
Zip code
Never heard it called that. My ‘06 Cummins has a silencer ring on the intake side of turbo, I removed that and gutted the intake tube. You could really hear that turbo sing!
Those 5.9 Cummins sound awesome without that silencer ring and a bigger down pipe. They come factory with a fixed vane turbo which when allowed to breathe better sound like a fucking jet engine.

Matt Ellerbee

The small dicks have it all.
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 26, 2016
Canton
Zip code
Those 5.9 Cummins sound awesome without that silencer ring and a bigger down pipe. They come factory with a fixed vane turbo which when allowed to breathe better sound like a fucking jet engine.
The ‘06 was the first year with a 4” down pipe. Others were 3 or 3.5 I believe. Muffler delete and a boost fooler is all I had done and she sounded mean with my Jeep behind it. Loved rowing through the G56 too!

Reactions: Jake

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
There is a piece, called the turbo muffler, that sits inside the down pipe at the turbo. It has baffles to help quiet down the exhaust coming out. There is a replacement insert that smoothed out airflow.

It may be that your setup may not use it. Based on some searches, basically straight pipe from the turbo back is used. Since the muffler and cats are "deleted" it complicates the search. My car has a "turbo muffler" not a turbo style exhaust muffler.

View attachment 53445
Gotcha. Right now I'm only interested in minor mods that increase durability. I haven't decided yet if I'm keeping this one, but I want it in good unmolested shape for me or the next guy.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Mac11FA

Facilitator
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Gotcha. Right now I'm only interested in minor mods that increase durability. I haven't decided yet if I'm keeping this one, but I want it in good unmolested shape for me or the next guy.
Yeah, keep it stock if you are not going to keep it. The EGR delete is a great mod and has many pros to it.

Reactions: Kobayashi

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
Yeah, keep it stock if you are not going to keep it. The EGR delete is a great mod and has many pros to it.
I'll likely do a mild tune in the future, mainly a tuner with all the monitoring I need, but no significant mods. It's got nearly 600 torques stock anyway. ;)

Reactions: Jake

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
So - I got everything back together this evening. I connected the batteries and...nothing. I've got 12 volts on both new batteries, clean connections, 12 volts at the alternator, and the starter solenoid bypass works - but no power in the cab, and nothing when I turn the ignition.

Mac11FA

Facilitator
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
So - I got everything back together this evening. I connected the batteries and...nothing. I've got 12 volts on both new batteries, clean connections, 12 volts at the alternator, and the starter solenoid bypass works - but no power in the cab, and nothing when I turn the ignition.
Battery cut out switch or blown fuse?

Kobayashi

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
Turns out this was a simple mistake. There were several extra wires to power aftermarket lights, radios, etc. I meant to leave these disconnected but in place in case I needed them later. InI attached one of these extra wires to the battery instead of the main power to the cab.

Reactions: georgia357

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
When I turned 15 my dad told me I'd get $1000 to get my first vehicle. I found a 1985 Nissan King Cab 4x4 I wanted so bad I could taste it. It would be perfect to got all the fishing holes with my buddies after school. I got home the next day and there sat a 1992 Toyota...... Camry...... I fucking hated that car. It ran great, was safe, economical..... Was 2wd...... Was lame AF...... Anyway, I took that thing everywhere the 4x4s would go. Finally dad caved. He gave me his old W100 Club Cab long wheel base. It had the 318 also. Needed some work though. I drove it a couple times around the farm but never got it Street worthy. Ended up selling it and getting an 88 Ford Ranger. Extended cab, 4x4, 2.9L, black and silver 2 tone with a red pin stripe between. I fucking loved that truck. But young and dumb strikes again. I sold it to my dad to buy a full size F150. Real men only drive full size trucks..... What a dumb ass. I've begged him to sell it back. He won't though. Sigh.....
1988. Last year of the offset oval. I don't know why, but I always thought they looked better. 5116FB85-A6A1-4E19-8FEE-7055813C7E4C.jpeg

Reactions: Kobayashi