Recipe Easiest Cold Brew

Howard Law

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
Cold Brew is a method of brewing coffee without using hot water, but instead using cold water. This usually creates a smoother and less acidic coffee with great flavors. It also is more caffeinated and does not have to be cold when you drink it.

There are several methods of making Cold Brew, but if you want the easiest and less messy way of doing it, continue reading.

Items you will need:

French Press - The bigger, the better. I use a 1 1/2 Liter from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F3Y42O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Coffee - This one is up to you. I like a Brazilian Medium Roast for this. It has a more espresso taste to it which goes good with how smooth Cold Brew is. I recommend NerdRoast
https://nerdroast.com/product/java-the-hutt/

Pitcher - A 1 1/2 to 2 Liter pitcher. I like glass personally.

Making Cold Brew with a French Press is very easy and is the same as making coffee with hot water with a French Press. Instead of using hot water, we just use cold.

Step 1: If it's not already, grind your coffee. A coarse ground is perfect, but a normal ground is fine if it's already grounded.

Step 2: Add the appropriate amount of coffee to your French Press. This will be determined by the size of your press. The rule of thumb is 1:8 coffee ratio. So an example might be 1 cup of coffee per every 8 cups of water. 1.5 liters is roughly 6 cups. While you can do 2/3 of a cup, I normally just do an entire cup.

Step 3: Add the water to the french press. Just make sure you have room at the top for the lid and press.

Step 4: Stir. Even though the grounds will float to the top, this initial stirring is important.

Step 5: Add the lid to the press but DO NOT PRESS YET. It is very important that the press is all the way up.

Step 6: Wait. If you refrigerate it, wait 12 hours. If you leave it room temp, wait 8 - 10 hours.

Step 7: You can now push down on the press. This will push all of the grounds to the bottom of the press.

Step 8: Poor the coffee in the pitcher.

That is it... keep the coffee refrigerated and do not store it in the press. If you store it in the press the coffee grounds will continue to brew and you do not want old stale coffee in your brew. By pouring it in a pitcher, you can keep the coffee tasty for several days after it was brewed.

Don't like cold coffee? No problem! Cold Brew does not need to be cold.. just add some hot water to it and it'll heat right up, giving you a nice hot and smooth coffee.

Reactions: Sheps and echo26

Sheps

Woodsman
Jun 24, 2015
www.youtube.com
Zip code
en5 1ae
How this didn't get any traction I don't know. People must not be addicted to coffee well enough in these parts.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
The only thing I'd change is the press. Friehling is the way to go, way better than a glass body.

https://direct.frieling.com/Frieling_French_Press_p/0104.htm

House Blend Dark Roast Dancing Goats is my go to coffee. Haven't tasted anything better anywhere in the world to date.
What difference does it have on the brew?

My only gripe with my french press is the damn handle is too close to the body and is scolds my knuckles when I try to pick it up...

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
What difference does it have on the brew?

My only gripe with my french press is the damn handle is too close to the body and is scolds my knuckles when I try to pick it up...
For one you won't scald your knuckles, for two...it's a double duty press that'll do "hot brew" much better since it has insulated walls, and three, they're incredibly well built and will last a lifetime.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
For one you won't scald your knuckles, for two...it's a double duty press that'll do "hot brew" much better since it has insulated walls, and three, they're incredibly well built and will last a lifetime.
Ahhh, thats a decent point since im sure the glass is dropping the water temp below ~204 pretty quickly and definitely within the few mins of brew time. I wonder if its negligible though.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Ahhh, thats a decent point since im sure the glass is dropping the water temp below ~204 pretty quickly and definitely within the few mins of brew time. I wonder if its negligible though.
I dunno, but the double walled version keeps it hot quite a long time. I think I could drive over my Friehling press too, it's just incredibly well built. Like safes, buy a size bigger than you think you'll need.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I dunno, but the double walled version keeps it hot quite a long time. I think I could drive over my Friehling press too, it's just incredibly well built. Like safes, buy a size bigger than you think you'll need.
Lol true, I might check one out some day. If I was to buy another press anytime soon itd be an aeropress.